cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2011, 01:33 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cain and what it says about America

Herman Cain is a smiling demagogue buffoon. And he is leading the polls among Republicans.

As the evidence of his incompetence and ignorance increases, his poll numbers increase. There is a strong element in America that revels in stupidity, for the sake of feel-good blather. One gets the feeling if you just repeat "apple pie and America" fifty times in a week, it's bound to double your support.

Part of me finds this very amusing. It's a racially-motivated plot that had Cain be accused of sexual harassment, then lie to the American people, then backtrack, and pull the race card. Yes, folks, this might actually work. Cain may actually be strengthened by this.

Part of me feels very, very ill about this. Part of me feels like America is destined for doom, with its love of idiots and prancing mistrels and buffoons and clowns.

Ship of fools. We laugh because what choice do we have? Sanity has no place in this place.

I don't know that I've ever been more depressed about the fate of this nation. Shining city? Neon city on credit cards. Lights will flicker, then go out.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:31 AM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Huntsman Quietly Relieved To Be Polling Poorly Among GOP Voters
NOVEMBER 1, 2011

SALT LAKE CITY—With a recent Gallup poll indicating only 2 percent of his party supports his candidacy for president, Jon Huntsman confided to staffers Tuesday that he was secretly relieved to be faring so poorly among the die-hard GOP base. "When I saw the numbers and realized Republicans weren't embracing my message, I breathed easily for the first time in months," the former Utah governor and ambassador to China said. "They're terrifying. We're talking about people who blame the unemployed for their own predicament and literally applaud the idea of letting those who don't have health insurance die. What would it say about me if they gravitated toward me personally or approved of my political principles?" Huntsman added that it was a huge weight off his shoulders when Herman Cain surged ahead of him in the polls, noting that it could easily have been him.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/hun...rly-amo,26506/
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:43 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

LOL, how true. How very true.

It's a very tough time to be a smart, educated conservative. Esp. a moderate one like myself.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:29 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Is this racist? Should I feel guilty for laughing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE5xZ...&feature=share
Old 11-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

The BLR clip of Cain is funny, and he himself said so when he watched it.

Not that I'm really concerned with your fears for the Republican field, Waters, but you don't need to get too lathered up about Cain. I wouldn't put too much stock in those polls. When it comes time to pull the lever so-to-speak, people won't be pulling it for Cain. Just call it a gut feeling.

Barring some self-inflicted implosion, Romney is well-positioned to run away with it at this point, even though no one really seems excited about that. Heh.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

I haven't voted for a democrat in fifteen years, but if it comes down to Romney, Perry or Cain, that streak might be over.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I haven't voted for a democrat in fifteen years, but if it comes down to Romney, Perry or Cain, that streak might be over.
I find it impossible to believe you voted for McCain over Obama.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
Tex

I hope Cain is innocent of what he's accused of, for his sake. With this new ad, calling it "doubling down" seems to be an understatement.

Either way, his crisis response team should go down as a political case study of "how not to" when dealing with stuff like this.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I find it impossible to believe you voted for McCain over Obama.
Why is that? Because when my candidate lost, I didn't immediately join the post-election smear campaigns against the winner, uniting with those who remain loyally dedicated to presenting his every move in the worst possible light? All in the name of right wing "conservatism," i.e. the "good guys" who are one with Christianity?

Sorry just because I didn't join the crusade to vilify the POTUS as a diarrhea-brained Antichrist doesn't mean that I voted for him. However there are many other "conservative" "good guys" who consider themselves upstanding activists of the pro-family cause.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Cain is doubling down on the bet that GOP Americans are stupid.

It's an excellent bet.

Cain is trying to frame this as "me against the liberal media."

What an ass-wipe. Most of us on this board now more about foreign policy than Herman Cain. He is making me long for Huckabee, another snake oil salesman with a forked tongue.