cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The media drives the message

This weekend's debates and the coverage following illustrates how the media really drives much of the messaging in a campaign.

In the ABC debate, clearly Stephanopolous wanted a gotchya moment on social issues, related to the right of privacy and contraception. I thought the moderation by ABC was terrible and unprofessional.

In the Sunday morning debate on NBC, the moderator was much better than ABC, but he obviously wanted to facilitate attacks on Romney, and was successful in doing so. One wonders if the candidates would have done so without encouragement and obvious opportunity. I don't feel bad for Romney because ultimately such back and forth can show strength for him.

And now today we are seeing the "Romney was an evil guy at Bain" narrative, with a cover story on Politico. Even NR had a blurb on "the Corner" criticizing Romney's statement about not going into politics if you need to do so to pay for your mortgage. And making it into a class-defining statement. Ridiculous.

Obviously the candidates and the country have a lot at stake in this campaign. But so does the media. A quick Romney wrapup leaves countless millions of dollars on the table (TV ad revenues in the states, media ratings on the talk/news shows, web views, etc.). There is a strong incentive to do the "fight, fight, fight!'" chant and try and keep things close.

But Romney does have another media narrative going for him--good news from the polls, breaking through the 25% ceiling (which isn't getting much press), and a strong sense of inevitability.

It's probably too late, but in some ways it's a shame that a Huntsman surge narrative never took hold in the media. I thought he had two strong debate performances this weekend. He's finally found his footing, but I'm afraid it is too late.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

is it more proper to say "the media drive the message".

Media being plural.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Obviously the candidates and the country have a lot at stake in this campaign. But so does the media. A quick Romney wrapup leaves countless millions of dollars on the table (TV ad revenues in the states, media ratings on the talk/news shows, web views, etc.). There is a strong incentive to do the "fight, fight, fight!'" chant and try and keep things close.
I think I follow politics close enough to say this isn't the case among the right-leaning punditry class. Those who want to see Romney defeated really don't like him, and really don't want him to be the nominee under any circumstance.

Much the way I felt about John McCain.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote