cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2008, 05:29 AM   #51
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
. . . that Mormons aren't voting for them, or that LDS women prefer to stay at home? Because there's a difference between the two.

If you think the Mormon culture discourages women from seeking office, you can keep crying out against oppression all you want. But that doesn't mean Mormons won't vote for a woman, or will have any difficulty supporting a woman vice president.
personally, for me, it's all the same pie.

Like I said, you wouldn't ask the question about Saudi Arabia.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:36 AM   #52
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
personally, for me, it's all the same pie.

Like I said, you wouldn't ask the question about Saudi Arabia.
There are several reasons why I wouldn't ask the question about Saudi Arabia. First among them is the fact that I have not the first clue about the voting practices of Saudi Arabia. Second is that I do not care.

Finally, we're not talking about Saudi Arabia. We're talking about LDS, and you've made an accusation that I find to be a little silly.

You tell me, then: how will Mormons react to Palin's nomination? Do you anticipate, since we are such close-minded and antiquated creatures, that LDS will flee in droves from the prospects of watering down the woman's rightful place in the home? Or can they find it in them to overcome their backwater ways in order to preserve the sacrosanct tradition of always voting Republican, come what may?
Old 08-31-2008, 05:40 AM   #53
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
There are several reasons why I wouldn't ask the question about Saudi Arabia. First among them is the fact that I have not the first clue about the voting practices of Saudi Arabia. Second is that I do not care.

Finally, we're not talking about Saudi Arabia. We're talking about LDS, and you've made an accusation that I find to be a little silly.

You tell me, then: how will Mormons react to Palin's nomination? Do you anticipate, since we are such close-minded and antiquated creatures, that LDS will flee in droves from the prospects of watering down the woman's rightful place in the home? Or can they find it in them to overcome their backwater ways in order to preserve the sacrosanct tradition of always voting Republican, come what may?
Oh yes, I fully believe voting Republican trumps any reservation about a woman as an executive.

It's interesting that we have an evangelical VP nominee, but I'm not sure there is a single female LDS national politician. Sort of like there is not a single woman in charge of any unit of the church anywhere in the world. For these women to really pursue executive office, they would have to be encouraged to do so by the patriarchy, and of course they are not encouraged, they are discouraged.

It's just how it is. You can like, you can hate it, you can be indifferent.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:43 AM   #54
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Oh yes, I fully believe voting Republican trumps any reservation about a woman as an executive.

It's interesting that we have an evangelical VP nominee, but I'm not sure there is a single female LDS national politician. Sort of like there is not a single woman in charge of any unit of the church anywhere in the world. For these women to really pursue executive office, they would have to be encouraged to do so by the patriarchy, and of course they are not encouraged, they are discouraged.

It's just how it is. You can like, you can hate it, you can be indifferent.
So, in summary, you don't think Mormons will have a hard time supporting the McCain-Palin ticket?
Old 08-31-2008, 05:53 AM   #55
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
So, in summary, you don't think Mormons will have a hard time supporting the McCain-Palin ticket?
Some will have reservations. Some may stay home. But it will be the rare Mormon who votes for the democratic ticket because of Palin.

She may not be ideal, but she's not the devil.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:09 AM   #56
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default LDS women WILL support Palin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I'm going out on a limb, but I think conservative Christians in general have this problem. I'd expect the problem to be more or less as consistent in conservative Christian women as with conservative Christian men.

Back in February a conservative, non-denominational Christian family I know was shocked that I supported Hillary. The husband was shocked, but it was the wife that told me, "But that is not a woman's place!"
She has the same values as most LDS women. Not only in talking about the values, but living them.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #57
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I haven't followed this thread too closely, but it certainly is a shame that we don't have more women in the Utah legislature. It is a good-old-boy network and a perfect illustration of what happens with one-party rule. Since most voters here just vote straight-party ticket for R, it is almost impossible to break into the system. Republican candidates are picked at the convention by extremist party hacks and then they often run unopposed. Recall that even an a-hole like Chris Buttars made it through the convention.

Interestingly, our local state senator and state rep are being opposed this year by two women:

http://www.radene.com/
http://voteforhill.org/main/

Due to the school-voucher fiasco of last year, there may just be a chance to throw the bums out in this cycle. Both candidates are bright and qualified. Still a long shot, but you never know.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:02 PM   #58
Coonass

Coonass is on a distinguished road
Talking Lovely women politicians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I haven't followed this thread too closely, but it certainly is a shame that we don't have more women in the Utah legislature.
Oh come on. What about Becky Lockhart????:mrgreen:
Coonass is offline   Reply With Quote