cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This egg is still sunny side up

1. We are better than we were at the end of the Lavell days.
2. We are better than we were at the end of the Crowton days.
3. We go to bowls.
4. We have winning records.
5. We are stable (if not spectacular) in the coaching positions (not that we ever weren't in the past).

I would venture to say that BYU has the larger fan base, with better resources, than TCU or Utah. But we are clearly lagging behind in terms of team quality. This creates pressure for change. That pressure is a good thing, and I'm going to take the optimistic viewpoint that changes will come into place that will allow BYU to become better.

Maybe we should start by passing around a hat so our coaches can attend some coaching clinics in the off-season. Just kidding. Partially.

We clearly do not have the brightest minds in the booth. That much is apparent. Anae will never outscheme a good coach. He is not a Chow. He is big and dumb and competent. But not excellent. He's not hungry to be a HC, so he is satisfied with who he is.

I don't think Bronco is satisfied, but I don't think he enjoys being a football coach, and moreover, I don't think he knows how to get better. He is currently as good a coach as he can figure out.

Wouldn't it be great if we could get Rocky Long in here as DC? Bring in Detmer as QB coach. Get some more excitement around here.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, you accurately depict the football scenario, but given we have a senior experienced quarterback, I would have to say, this season is a failure.

http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/co...141cc24a5.html

When even the homor guys at the Daily Herald see the light that Whit is superior to Bronco, we know it is a bad day in Cougarland.

Quote:
• FRANCHUK: It's a sure-thing 3-1, with the loss probably coming to you-know-who. It's been made pretty clear right now that Kyle Whittingham and his staff have done a superior job. It was pointed out to me that Utah's coach and Bronco Mendenhall have the same record as they stand, forever linked, now more than midway through their fifth seasons. Whittingham made the most of his best team (last season) and has fought through key injuries better than the Cougars. If you had told me during fall camp I'd be saying toward the end of the season that the Cougars had a chance of losing to Utah (in Provo, with the wide difference in quarterback experience) my August self would have said "get lost" to my November self. That's how disappointing of a season it's become, even as 10 wins again seems feasible.