cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you think is more important to the orthodox member of the LDS Church?
Adhering to the Word of Wisdom 19 63.33%
Living by Christian values 11 36.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2008, 06:56 PM   #31
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

I'm with Tex and Indy. WOW complance is more measurable and for most people, infinitely easier to live that "being a good Christian". You're either living the WOW (in it's present, commandment form) or you're not. Failure to live the WOW, except in cases of addiction, is simply a matter of rebellion, and therefore a big deal.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #32
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I know a guy who is a bishop who openly brags about cheating on his taxes (cash-only transactions). Nobody bats an eye. How long do you think he would last as bishop if he started drinking coffee in public?
Does he openly brag about that to the SP?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #33
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Your bishop asks you about being an a-hole? Interesting... Do you respond truthfully?

I know a guy who is a bishop who openly brags about cheating on his taxes (cash-only transactions). Nobody bats an eye. How long do you think he would last as bishop if he started drinking coffee in public?
Yeah...I know a guy that openly supports friends who commit slander & libel too.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #34
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Your bishop asks you about being an a-hole? Interesting... Do you respond truthfully?

Shouldn't he then be responding "No" when asked if he is honest in his dealings? Wouldn't that get him released from his calling?
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #35
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Is orthodox the person who goes to all 3 meetings every week, adheres to the word of wisdom, and does their home/visiting teaching every month?

Or can you be orthodox and only attend sacrament meeting and do your home/visiting teaching every few months, and slip in a pepsi once in a while?
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:42 PM   #36
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Reminds of a few years ago at the end of conference whne president hinckley asked us to drink a little less coffee, smoke a little less tobacco and pour a little less tea.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #37
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

Is soda/caffeinated beverages part of the WOW? Because I know that coffee is, but not because of the caffeine apparently.
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:29 PM   #38
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting question.

I don't know if it's easier to adhere to the Word of Wisdom than it is to live Christian values. Christian values pretty much boil down to the Golden Rule - Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Adhering to the WoW requires that we not only not consume tobacco or alcohol, but to eat meat sparingly, eat lots of grains, eat lots of fruits, vegetables and herbs.

Perhaps a better question that would be more applicable to orthodoxy would be "which will get you kicked out of BYU faster - breaking the WoW or not living Christian values?"

I don't mean this as a shot at BYU, nor do I mean it as some sort of lame rivalry smack, but most here on this site seems to think that the folks enforce the Honor Code tend to be a bit more heavy handed than the lay clergy in the church. And for the record, the true ALUFs are good examples of Honor Code stormtroopers.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:04 AM   #39
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Interesting question.

I don't know if it's easier to adhere to the Word of Wisdom than it is to live Christian values. Christian values pretty much boil down to the Golden Rule - Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Adhering to the WoW requires that we not only not consume tobacco or alcohol, but to eat meat sparingly, eat lots of grains, eat lots of fruits, vegetables and herbs.

Perhaps a better question that would be more applicable to orthodoxy would be "which will get you kicked out of BYU faster - breaking the WoW or not living Christian values?"

I don't mean this as a shot at BYU, nor do I mean it as some sort of lame rivalry smack, but most here on this site seems to think that the folks enforce the Honor Code tend to be a bit more heavy handed than the lay clergy in the church. And for the record, the true ALUFs are good examples of Honor Code stormtroopers.
Do you use an ouija board to channel BYU71? If not, please tell me how to do it. I have a sum of money to invest and I don't want to pay a financial planner.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:33 AM   #40
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
Shouldn't he then be responding "No" when asked if he is honest in his dealings? Wouldn't that get him released from his calling?
I am not sure how he answers the question. The SP is his next-door neighbor, so I am guessing that he knows the situation. Apparently nobody else in the ward/stake is too concerned about it. And regardless of how he answers the question, he remains the bishop. But I can guarantee you that if he started to drink coffee, somebody would report it and he would be quickly removed from office.