cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default NPR on Mormons and bigots

NPR had a piece on Mormonism and bigotry last night. I looked for it on the website but couldn't find a link to the story. They had on a professor from Harvard (I think? I was listening with a van full of deacons in the car) that was quite interesting. The guy was very sympathetic and favorable to Mormons while not being LDS. They took callers.

Someone from Salt Lake called in that showed his anti-Mormon colors quickly, saying "the thing is I've lived with Mormons my whole life, I know Mormons, and I can tell you for sure I don't believe Mitt Romney when he says he would not be influenced by the LDS church in making a decision".

The NPR guest said "see that's what I'm talking about as an example of bigotry. There is no basis for this man's assumption about Romney. Bigotry is a prejudice where there is no reasonable basis." Then he gave evidences of why there is no basis.

The discussion centered around whether or not it's possible to have prejudice towards a member of a religion without being bigoted (this issue of whether or not there is reasonable basis). Quite interesting.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
NPR had a piece on Mormonism and bigotry last night. I looked for it on the website but couldn't find a link to the story. They had on a professor from Harvard (I think? I was listening with a van full of deacons in the car) that was quite interesting. The guy was very sympathetic and favorable to Mormons while not being LDS. They took callers.

Someone from Salt Lake called in that showed his anti-Mormon colors quickly, saying "the thing is I've lived with Mormons my whole life, I know Mormons, and I can tell you for sure I don't believe Mitt Romney when he says he would not be influenced by the LDS church in making a decision".

The NPR guest said "see that's what I'm talking about as an example of bigotry. There is no basis for this man's assumption about Romney. Bigotry is a prejudice where there is no reasonable basis." Then he gave evidences of why there is no basis.

The discussion centered around whether or not it's possible to have prejudice towards a member of a religion without being bigoted (this issue of whether or not there is reasonable basis). Quite interesting.
If the caller has lived in Salt Lake and therefore knows Mormon culture well including the penchant for blindly following leaders' injuctions (for example, jettison the girl you love because she added a second pierced earring) then his opinion or prejudice or whatever you want to call it may not have "no reasonable basis."

This wouldn't be the first time, by the way, that NPR spouted pure nonsense. It happens every day.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
If the caller has lived in Salt Lake and therefore knows Mormon culture well including the penchant for blindly following leaders' injuctions (for example, jettison the girl you love because she added a second pierced earring) then his opinion or prejudice or whatever you want to call it may not have "no reasonable basis."

This wouldn't be the first time, by the way, that NPR spouted pure nonsense. It happens every day.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Jay,

it was probably NOAH FELDMAN. He wrote a very nice article about a week ago in the New York Times. Not sure it was brought up on the guard but it really is a nice article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/06/ma...in&oref=slogin
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

It is nice this professor has an open mind and see a "one size fits all" with mormons just doesn't work. I doubt this person who called in is in fact a bigot though, at least based on the concern expressed. I know several people who think Romney surely could be influenced by the church. I don't think they are bigotted, but maybe they associate with or focus on the segment of the church population that would make one feel that way.

I myself if I were a non-member would have a gnawing feeling, wondering if Romney could be controlled from SLC. After all we claim we have a Prophet who communicates with God and a belief all other religions are an abomination.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:02 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent for a Scot to find.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
N Bigotry is a prejudice where there is no reasonable basis."
That can't be right. Tooblue has clearly stated that reasonable basis doesn't enter into it, and that anyone who doesn't agree with Mormon doctrine is a bigot.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #8
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Romney should tell the press corp to ask Harry Reid how many times he has been contacted by SLC on policy. People must believe that they belong to different sects of Mormonism.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:45 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

Seattle doesn't think it is possible to be bigoted against Mormons.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:49 PM   #10
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Seattle doesn't think it is possible to be bigoted against Mormons.

or hillbillies.