cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 09:26 PM   #41
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You mean like this?
More like this.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...1&postcount=81

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:30 PM   #42
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
That's a good one. But I must insist you stop with this selective use of quotes. If you are go list those quotes, you have to include this one, otherwise you just aren't being honest:

"Tex is such a dickhead, he forced me to ignore him." Lebowski, 2007
Old 10-15-2007, 09:32 PM   #43
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Here's what I see as the problem with your premise - The alleged misstatements by earlier prophets have been proven wrong with time and the acquisition of further light and knowledge. The more contemporary statements have not had a significant amount of time for we as a people to gain additional insights or knowledge with regard to those issues. Couple that with the fact that the church leaders have grown more circumspect regarding what is said and published in recent years, and you know very well that what you are asking is unreasonable.

The controversy over blacks and the priesthood happened in part during my lifetime, and as far as I'm concerned, that's recent enough.
So in your mind, General Conference is just chock full of false doctrines that we just don't have enough "light and knowledge" to recognize yet?

What I am asking is not unreasonable, given that you and others are given to judging every word spoken by a prophet today in context of what was spoken 100 years ago, rather than the other way around. The reason Leb is stuck in a "statute of limitations" feedback loop is because there's precious little to whine about these days.

Back then, we had weighty stuff like Adam-God, blood atonement, and blacks to worry about. Today all you guys whine about is "mothers who know" and multiple earrings. Petty, in my book.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-15-2007, 09:35 PM   #44
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
So in your mind, General Conference is just chock full of false doctrines that we just don't have enough "light and knowledge" to recognize yet?

What I am asking is not unreasonable, given that you and others are given to judging every word spoken by a prophet today in context of what was spoken 100 years ago, rather than the other way around. The reason Leb is stuck in a "statute of limitations" feedback loop is because there's precious little to whine about these days.

Back then, we had weighty stuff like Adam-God, blood atonement, and blacks to worry about. Today all you guys whine about is "mothers who know" and multiple earrings. Petty, in my book.
Not that you asked for my opinion, but that never stops me.

GC is to get good council and advice from the brethern. You then ponder and pray on it and use as appropriate.

It certainly isn't for some members to listen to and then spout off what the brethern meant to other members.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:36 PM   #45
Tex

Quote:
That's a good one. But I must insist you stop with this selective use of quotes. If you are go list those quotes, you have to include this one, otherwise you just aren't being honest:

"Tex is such a dickhead, he forced me to ignore him." Lebowski, 2007
You got the quote wrong. What you said was, "I'm such a pansy, I can't handle reading Tex's posts."

And thanks to you, another thread devolves into Tex bashing. One might think you actually do this on purpose, Leb.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-15-2007, 09:47 PM   #46
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
You got the quote wrong. What you said was, "I'm such a pansy, I can't handle reading Tex's posts."
No, I am pretty sure I got it right. I looked it up.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:48 PM   #47
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
And back then, most folks wouldn't have batted an eye at those issues. Because they were the status quo. And some folks vigorously defend the status quo, no matter what.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:49 PM   #48
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

And thanks to you, another thread devolves into Tex bashing. One might think you actually do this on purpose, Leb.
WHy can't it be called Lebowski bashing? You are both dirty in this, from my point of view. I think we may have to put your desks on opposite sides of the room.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:51 PM   #49
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
WHy can't it be called Lebowski bashing? You are both dirty in this, from my point of view. I think we may have to put your desks on opposite sides of the room.
Partypooper
Old 10-15-2007, 09:52 PM   #50
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Partypooper

D'oh! I was supposed to stop the wet-blnaket thing. Sorry, I slipped. I need to go call my sponsor.