cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 02:37 AM   #31
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Were you there during his tenure? I feel indebted to him and I took full advantage of all the money he raised. We moved up in the rankings too. And now we're hearing about Samuelsen not caring enough.
He was a good fundraiser. No doubt about that. Of course, it didn't hurt to be president during the golden years of the stock market. If you measure success in terms of money raised, he was a great hire.

Yes, Samuelson has issues too. We haven't had a good president since Lee, IMO.

But that just my opinion. Don't worry about it.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:42 AM   #32
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

I would be curious to hear what faculty members at BYU have to say about Bateman's tenure and the effect it had on the campus environment with respect to academic freedom. my assumption has always been that it quieted academic freedom a bit. my wife was at byu under lee and then bateman, and she comments on noticing a change in the overall atmosphere there saying that it seemed like professors seemed much more tense under bateman than under lee. she was studying psychology. i would imagine that that the business school didn't see much of a difference.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:44 AM   #33
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
I would be curious to hear what faculty members at BYU have to say about Bateman's tenure and the effect it had on the campus environment with respect to academic freedom. my assumption has always been that it quieted academic freedom a bit. my wife was at byu under lee and then bateman, and she comments on noticing a change in the overall atmosphere there saying that it seemed like professors seemed much more tense under bateman than under lee. she was studying psychology. i would imagine that that the business school didn't see much of a difference.
biology professors taught evolution like it was no big deal.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:13 AM   #34
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
you mean Shaf gave attribution, right? Seattle obviously pulled that crap out of his butt.
My take is well and widely known. I'm surprised you don't know such basic history about your alma mater. That you didn't see the transition from Lee to Bateman as tragic for BYU says a lot.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:17 AM   #35
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
biology professors taught evolution like it was no big deal.
Chino is clueless. He doesn't even know what evolution is, I venture. Anyway, teaching evolution is not the sine qua non of academic freedom! BYU is a university for crying out loud. Biology IS evolution. Teaching evolution like it was no big deal. You don't say. If they fired professors for teaching evolution BYU would have sunk to Bob Jones level. Friggin unbelievable.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:19 AM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The place that felt the weight of the non-academic freedom was the Humanities, not science. We've always had the same terrible science teachers teaching the same boring things.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:20 AM   #37
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Why do you suppose such a person who apparently possesses several questionable leadership and management flaws is presently a member of the Presidency of the Seventy? Is the calling in sync with McConkie's interpretation of the parable of the talents?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:24 AM   #38
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
McConkie's interpretation of the parable of the talents
A quick synopsis:

All people come to this earth possessing between 1 and 5 talents. Leadership positions are not always filled by a 5-talent person. Sometimes a person with fewer talents is called to lead in an important position, earning him a valuable experience in growth and learning. Growth also comes to those who have more talents than the leader, who must humble themselves and accept the counsel of an inferior.

(paraphrasing)
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:54 AM   #39
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I went to BYU during Master Bateman's reign over BYU.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:14 AM   #40
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

grape, how do you remember all this stuff? or did you just look it up with google?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote