cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Finances
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Investing Short Term

Let's say someone gave you 4 to 5 thousand dollars and told you to invest it anyway you wanted to, but that the investment period would be short term (2-3 years).

What would be the best way to invest that money to gain the most return?
Old 01-31-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
Let's say someone gave you 4 to 5 thousand dollars and told you to invest it anyway you wanted to, but that the investment period would be short term (2-3 years).

Wire it to me before my trip to Vegas and I will photo document the entire weekend and post the pics in CP. Trust me it will be worth it.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Wire it to me before my trip to Vegas and I will photo document the entire weekend and post the pics in CP. Trust me it will be worth it.
Perfect!
Old 01-31-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road
Default investment

Quote:

"Gain the most return" is a bit nebulous.
It might be better to state what is the worst result you could swallow and then use that to define your level of risk.

Assuming you would not be happy with loss of capital in that time frame, for that short of time I would say buy a dividend-paying stock or a CD. If you want to take a bit more risk, I've always had good success with relatively low volatility in regional bank stocks. The interest rate environment at the moment is not real good for them but could improve by your 2-3 yr time frame. One I like is IBOC in Texas. Stay away from the housing bubble states where defaults may rise. Your mileage may vary.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:15 PM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I think people's biggest mistakes are not being aggressive enough with their investments.

It depends on what you need the money for in 2-3 years and how bad you'd feel if your 4K went to 3K compared to how happy you'd feel if your 4K went to 6K.

I'd open a brokerage account and put it all in one index mutual fund, that way you lose very little on transaction costs.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
"Gain the most return" is a bit nebulous.
It might be better to state what is the worst result you could swallow and then use that to define your level of risk.

Assuming you would not be happy with loss of capital in that time frame, for that short of time I would say buy a dividend-paying stock or a CD. If you want to take a bit more risk, I've always had good success with relatively low volatility in regional bank stocks. The interest rate environment at the moment is not real good for them but could improve by your 2-3 yr time frame. One I like is IBOC in Texas. Stay away from the housing bubble states where defaults may rise. Your mileage may vary.
I would definitely not put all my money for a three year investment in one stock. That's just way too much unnecessary risk.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:40 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I think people's biggest mistakes are not being aggressive enough with their investments.

It depends on what you need the money for in 2-3 years and how bad you'd feel if your 4K went to 3K compared to how happy you'd feel if your 4K went to 6K.

I'd open a brokerage account and put it all in one index mutual fund, that way you lose very little on transaction costs.
Actually, the biggest mistake I have made is being too aggressive with my investments. Oh, the money I have lost....
Old 01-31-2007, 04:19 PM   #8
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

So what kind of index mutal fund exactly?

Mrs. tooblue is very interested in this thread and was even tempted to register to ask questions as she handles our money and we in fact have some money that currently is just sitting in a retirement savings account that we cannot touch but can invest.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:24 PM   #9
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Actually, the biggest mistake I have made is being too aggressive with my investments. Oh, the money I have lost....
I should qualify my statement.

Biggest mistake meaning too much money in fixed income (T-bills, bonds, etc.).

With age expectancy into the 80's and probably into the 90's for people of my age, even at retirement age, people are still on a long horizon.

The typical advice of a guy like me in my 30's putting 30% into fixed income is totally nuts, IMHO. Or someone in their 50's moving to 50%+ in fixed income--too conservative.

But once you determine your portfolio allocation, i.e. x% in fixed income, x% in stocks, x% in real estate, whatever, then you diversify to fullest extent to lower risk within your asset class and crosswise across other asset classes.

So when I say be aggressive, I mean put more money into stocks than bonds.

Buying one stock is order of magnitude more risky than buying an index fund (which I would call high risk). Leveraging a real estate purchase is order of magnitude more risky than buying one stock. And giving money to your brother-in-law as his financial partner for his business idea is order of magnitude more risky than the real estate purchase. This kind of aggressiveness is not what I'm talking about.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:29 PM   #10
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
So what kind of index mutal fund exactly?

Mrs. tooblue is very interested in this thread and was even tempted to register to ask questions as she handles our money and we in fact have some money that currently is just sitting in a retirement savings account that we cannot touch but can invest.
If you want more education on this kind of stuff, I'd read this forum.

http://www.diehards.org/

I'm a Bogle-head.

I think these guys are generally too conservative, but the principles of investing are correct. I think it's the way to go. And the people I respect in business academia go for this way of thinking.

I'd like to hear Pelagius' take on Bogle and indexing.