cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The flu

I certainly hope this flu does not become a pandemic.

I suspect we in the USA are much more prepared to survive the flu than Mexicans. But we shall see.

It's probably a good idea to begin measures that prevent flu and respiratory illnesses. Such as more frequent hand-washing and sanitation.

In general, it stands to reason that people who can hunker down are less likely to get the flu than people who expose themselves to lots of other people. Hence, as I've mentioned a billion times before, it's good to have emergency supplies at home.

The church recommends that you have a 3 month supply of the food you normally eat. And then build your "end of the world" supplies (i.e. staples such as wheat). I'm doubtful it will come to this, but who is to say?

We have lives to live. We have work to do. It continues, and for those that believe, life and death, to some extent, or perhaps completely, is in the hands of God. Faith and prayer for the afflicted and those at risk.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I certainly hope this flu does not become a pandemic.

I suspect we in the USA are much more prepared to survive the flu than Mexicans. But we shall see.

It's probably a good idea to begin measures that prevent flu and respiratory illnesses. Such as more frequent hand-washing and sanitation.

In general, it stands to reason that people who can hunker down are less likely to get the flu than people who expose themselves to lots of other people. Hence, as I've mentioned a billion times before, it's good to have emergency supplies at home.

The church recommends that you have a 3 month supply of the food you normally eat. And then build your "end of the world" supplies (i.e. staples such as wheat). I'm doubtful it will come to this, but who is to say?

We have lives to live. We have work to do. It continues, and for those that believe, life and death, to some extent, or perhaps completely, is in the hands of God. Faith and prayer for the afflicted and those at risk.
Prescribe yourself and your family some Tamiflu and go pick it up today. You won't be able to find any a week from now when you may need it.

That's my project for today.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
Prescribe yourself and your family some Tamiflu and go pick it up today. You won't be able to find any a week from now when you may need it.

That's my project for today.
I have thought about it--hoarding. But I think it is probably unethical. If there is a shortage, it should go to the dying. If there is no shortage, we will get it when we need it.

Of course many will make the selfish choice.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I have thought about it--hoarding. But I think it is probably unethical. If there is a shortage, it should go to the dying. If there is no shortage, we will get it when we need it.

Of course many will make the selfish choice.
Yep, I'm a selfish bastard.

I'm surprised you would put your trust in the government to provide adequate medication for you and your loved ones in the face of a pandemic.

Many people (my wife, for example) have the exact same attitude regarding food, water, etc.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
Yep, I'm a selfish bastard.

I'm surprised you would put your trust in the government to provide adequate medication for you and your loved ones in the face of a pandemic.

Many people (my wife, for example) have the exact same attitude regarding food, water, etc.
Everyone has the opportunity to buy food right now. At least the vast, vast majority of people.

Not everyone has the opportunity to prescribe a medication for a future disease. A medication that could save lives. I'm uncomfortable pulling medication out the supply chain and potentially having it sit on the sidelines while people die. That's bad karma.

And I don't particularly think it is funny.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Told Farrah to buy enough "regular" food for us to be able to sit tight in our house for 3 weeks. I don't think this will happen, but it helps to be prepared.

I had bought canned meats the other day. [because of my mission, I am an expert on canned meats--those 2 years will probably shave off a decade of my life].

Mostly canned tuna. But also corned beef, spam. Got some canned fruit and canned corn.

Canned food is not a very efficient way to build up your food storage, but I think having SOME for variety, is important. I imagine you can only eat pinto beans so many times before you start wanting some other kind of protein. Not to mention fat.

We also need to buy extra dog food. I hope Farrah did this.