cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2006, 01:04 AM   #1
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tim, I saw your question on utefans.net

about accessing Hogle Zoo on TRAX. I'd advise you call UTA (1-800-businfo) and ask them which bus to take from which TRAX station to get there. Buy a day pass so you can use it for both the train and the bus.

This Is The Place State Park is worth seeing, IMO. Quite a few church historical homes and buildings are there, as is the original University of Utah! Everyone that volunteers there are dressed like folks back in the 19th century and you'll learn a lot about what life was like then. You can get some great home-made licorice from the little ZCMI store which is one of the reasons I like to go there.

Also, get to the zoo as early as you can because the animals are more active in the morning, before it gets too hot. The new elephant exhibit is terrific. The new big cat exhibit is pretty cool too.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:54 AM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought it was funny that someone said the two-mile walk from Trax to the Zoo would "take all day" and advised you drive instead. Because I really don't know if it was TIC.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:07 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

I saw that as well and laughed. I'm too lazy to make the walk from the U to Hogle Zoo, so I'd drive.

Of course, being the cheapskate that I am, I also buy a family pass each year so we can get in as many times as we want for the year - my family uses it once and it pays for itself after that.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:27 AM   #4
purplmonkeydishwashr

purplmonkeydishwashr

The family pass to Hogle Zoo is great, I get one every year. I like going in early winter-late fall, when there is hardly anybody there. You can get some great interaction with the gorillas. Plus, with the pass, I never feel like I have to spend all day there to get my money's worth, so I leave before it starts getting old.
purplmonkeydishwashr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:10 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Yes. Early spring-late fall is terrific because the crowds are not there. My boys got into a game of do-as-I'm-doing with one of the apes last year. It was hilarious to watch it imitate my boys.

I just wish it covered the train ride. But then, I'm so cheap that I want it to cover food and drinks from the concessions there.