cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default Both candidates represent change.

I guess it just depends on the kind of change people are going to want.

Barrack Obama surely represents change away from the Republican politics and policies of the last 8-12 years. He represents a change to Democrat politics and policies more or less as they have existed during that time period. He doesn't represent something new or different, but rather is the most articulately, new, shiny, best packaged classic liberal democrat that we have seen in some time, maybe ever. Many people really believe that it is a return to the politcs and polices of the Democrat party that is needed in this country and Obama will surely bring that. I think there is no reason to doubt he will bring this sort of change.

McCain, if you believe him, represents a very different kind of change. He is not offering to take Republicans back to Gingrinch roots (though he does invoke Lincoln and TR) nor is he saying (nor could he) that he wishes to continue with current Republican politics and policies. McCain seems to be offering the public a candidate who will work with both parties when he can and give them both, particularly his own, the finger. Lots of people have said they will work across the isle but McCain has actually done it and pissed his own party off frequently. He also made a good start last night by telling the very partisan crowd (to pin drop silence) that the party had failed the American people and broken faith with them. That is amazing if you think about. Again, the question is whether you believe him.

I have to say that listening to McCain last night I got a little excited about the idea of a President who flat out doesn't care what either party thinks. And I really don't believe he does. I think there is bite in the assertion that McCain's name is on important legislation that was unpopular with his party whereas Obama has not authored any important legislation, even in the state house, though he has written two memoirs.

I have said before that I think there would be good reasons to feel really good as a country about electing Obama. It isn't going to hurt my feelings. But there is certainly part of me that would like to see a truly populist president working with both parties but beholden to neither. It might be a pipe dream on my part. Win or lose, I like where he is taking the party in this election and love the fact that he told the convention that Republicans have blown it, because that is right.

My sense is that McCain would be frequently embattled on both sides which would be a different dynamic from what we have had in the past and what Obama would experience. I think there is little question that Obama will face an embittered and obstructionist opposition party, just as Bush has, just as Clinton did, just as Regan did and so on. It would just be interesting to see a different dynamic. I still believe that the dems can't be beaten this fall, but who knows.