cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 04:06 AM   #1
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default riding alone...

how many of you ride/train alone? my FIL and I plan to ride together tomorrow and Saturday, but most of the time, I ride alone. It sometimes is kind of boring. any recommendations to make the my rides more interesting? i'm still learning the ropes, but i've been able to hang with some other guys my FIL rides with... i still have a lot to learn however, but i really want to be taught so yeah........
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:26 AM   #2
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I usually ride with at least one other person. It increases the chance of there being witnesses in case some moron decides to take a lone straggler out with his extended passenger side mirror. I think its safer to travel in numbers. People tend to give you a little more space.

As far as the boredom factor, I went out for an hour this morning solo and got a little bored. I occasionlly bring the iPod if I think I'm on a relatively safe road. Mixing up the workouts helps. If you are just going out for long, slow, endurance-building miles, it gets tedious. Sprints and intervals make the time go faster.

I know several guys that will do the saturday group ride, but intentionally spend the rest of the week riding solo because they feel like they get a better workout not having to wait for a slug like me.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
I know several guys that will do the saturday group ride, but intentionally spend the rest of the week riding solo because they feel like they get a better workout not having to wait for a slug like me.
This was my preference when I was riding a lot. And it was for the opposite reason. It's not fun to be tach'ed out on every ride. On an unrelated note, I loaned my bike to Dr. GS for his triathlon tomorrow. Think it comes back in one piece?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

By riding alone do you mean bicycles or Archaea's description of marriage?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:50 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
This was my preference when I was riding a lot. And it was for the opposite reason. It's not fun to be tach'ed out on every ride. On an unrelated note, I loaned my bike to Dr. GS for his triathlon tomorrow. Think it comes back in one piece?

IMO, wives and bikes are things that should never be loaned.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:10 PM   #6
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
He is a big fella. Hopefully it holds up okay. So I take it he hasn't been riding a whole lot if he has to borrow one for the race?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:39 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll make certain he doesn't crash it.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:47 PM   #8
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
I usually ride with at least one other person. It increases the chance of there being witnesses in case some moron decides to take a lone straggler out with his extended passenger side mirror. I think its safer to travel in numbers. People tend to give you a little more space.

As far as the boredom factor, I went out for an hour this morning solo and got a little bored. I occasionlly bring the iPod if I think I'm on a relatively safe road. Mixing up the workouts helps. If you are just going out for long, slow, endurance-building miles, it gets tedious. Sprints and intervals make the time go faster.

I'll have to try doing different things. I usually just try and keep my cadence up and enjoy the scenery which is fine, but like I said, it gets boring. I'll start doing sprints and other stuff like that.

For lunch yesterday I got some fast food for the first time in over a month. I had 2 Arby Melts without the cheese, mozarella sticks, curly fries and a chocolate shake. I don't know what I was thinking. Then for dinner, already not feeling great I had a pork taco from Cafe Rio. Then I went on my ride. Eating that crap food did not help at all! Plus, there was a strong head wind on Wasatch Blvd that didn't make the ride too enjoyable, but I still got home in time to watch the office so that was a bonus.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:54 PM   #9
bYuPride

Oh and what is the ruling?! I was stopped at a stop light and there is a fork in the road through the intersection where you can veer right, but I was going straight so I'm right next to a car that's going straight and there is a motorcycle guy right behind him that I guess is veering to the right... Light turns green and me and the car are going straight... next thing I know I hear the guy on the motorcycle call me an ass hole.. I felt like flipping the guy off, but all I could do was put a huge smile on my face. I think it pissed him off more. So what's the ruling? Aren't we supposed to share the road? I very well have could have been in the wrong, but I laugh a little thinking about the look on the guys face after giving him a big smile.

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 05-11-2007, 03:56 PM   #10
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
By riding alone do you mean bicycles or Archaea's description of marriage?
Ha ha... No, I mean the bicycle. My wife actually likes it when I ride because I'm not so grumpy. I guess I'm a little irritable when I don't get to ride. Now that it's warm enough, I need to start making myself get up in the mornings on go on my ride then. I'm just not a morning person and I can barely get up for work...

"I'm on my beater bike"