cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
Hazzard

Hazzard
Default Have any of you read this?

"Revisiting Thomas F. O’Dea’s The Mormons"

http://www.uofupress.com/store/product362.html

I haven't read O'Dea's original work, so I'll pass on this one until I can get to the original. I'm sure a few of you have read O'Dea's original work -- what did you think? And if you've had a chance to read Revisiting, what did you think of it? With contributors like Givens and Mauss, I assume it's an interesting read.
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:27 AM   #2
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post

I haven't read O'Dea's original work, so I'll pass on this one until I can get to the original. I'm sure a few of you have read O'Dea's original work -- what did you think? And if you've had a chance to read Revisiting, what did you think of it? With contributors like Givens and Mauss, I assume it's an interesting read.
Until now, I was unaware of it, but I'll likely get it. I have a particular interest in this because, in 1975, I was about to give the graduate address for my college convocation (I was eventually denied this opportunity, perhaps because the overseers took offense at the "[Pause, turn and moon Prof. Sorenson, continue]" portion of my draft address. But my talk, the text of which is now lost to the world, focused on a portion of O'Dea's work which noted the Church's huge commitment to education and queried whether the Church would be able to withstand the challenges that come from a well-educated and questioning flock.

Since O'Dea wrote this around the time of SeattleUte's birth, I believe he was prophetic in noting the serious threat SU would pose to our well-being. My talk was meant to reassure the masses that we were up to the challenge. The jury's still out, but I think we are.

Thanks for the link.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:36 AM   #3
Hazzard

Hazzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Until now, I was unaware of it, but I'll likely get it. I have a particular interest in this because, in 1975, I was about to give the graduate address for my college convocation (I was eventually denied this opportunity, perhaps because the overseers took offense at the "[Pause, turn and moon Prof. Sorenson, continue]" portion of my draft address. But my talk, the text of which is now lost to the world, focused on a portion of O'Dea's work which noted the Church's huge commitment to education and queried whether the Church would be able to withstand the challenges that come from a well-educated and questioning flock.

Since O'Dea wrote this around the time of SeattleUte's birth, I believe he was prophetic in noting the serious threat SU would pose to our well-being. My talk was meant to reassure the masses that we were up to the challenge. The jury's still out, but I think we are.

Thanks for the link.
In a quick Internet search today, I came across something about the portion of O'Dea's work to which you refer. Very interesting idea that I would love to explore. Perhaps CB is evidence that O'Dea's fears (hopes?) were unfounded and CG is evidence they are coming to pass? Just remember: for every SU out there we've got 25 NorCal Cats on the loose.

These thoughts arose in the context of one of my current reads, Elder Ballard's book on counseling with our councils, in which he quotes the Encyclopedia of Mormonism, which refers to O'Dea's comment about the "democracy of participation" in our church's use of councils at all levels of administration. Of course, the Encyclopedia leaves out the next phrase O'Dea used: "oligarchy of decision making and command."
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:53 AM   #4
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post

This looks interesting. Thanks for posting the link.