cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mormon History Post: Special Edition

In 1834-35, Oliver Cowdery wrote a series of letters to W.W. Phelps. They were printed, with minor changes, in the Church's new Kirtland monthly, the Messenger and Advocate.

Cowdery's letters are the earliest published accounts of the details of Mormonism's beginnings. The following is from his seventh letter, which was published in mid-1835. It reveals Cowdery's belief as to the location of the final battles of the Jaredites and Nephites:

"I must now give you some description of the place where, and the manner in which these records were deposited.

You are acquainted with the mail road from Palmyra, Wayne Co. to Canandaigua, Ontario Co. N.Y. and also, as you pass from the former to the latter place, before arriving at the little village of Manchester, say from three to four, or about four miles from Palmyra, you pass a large hill on the East side of the road. Why I say large, is, because it is as large perhaps as any in that country. To a person acquainted with this road, a description would be unnecessary, as it is the largest and rises the highest of any on that route. The north end rises quite sudden until it assumes a level with the more southerly extremity, and I think I may say an elevation higher than at the south a short distance, say half or three fourths of a mile. As you pass toward Canandaigua it lessens gradually until the surface assumes its common level, or is broken by other smaller hills or ridges, water courses and ravines. I think I am justified in saying that this is the highest hill for some distance round, and I am certain that its appearance, as it rises so suddenly from a plain on the north, must attract the notice of the traveller as he passes by.

At about one mile west rises another ridge of less height, running parallel with the former, leaving a beautiful vale between. The soil is of the first quality for the country, and under a state of cultivation, which gives a prospect at once imposing, when one reflects on the fact, that here, between these hills, the entire power and national strength of both the Jaredites and Nephites were destroyed.

By turning to the 529th and 530th pages of the Book of Mormon, you will read Mormon's account of the last struggle of his people, as they were encamped around this hill Cumorah (It is printed Camorah, which is an error.) In this valley fell the remaining strength and pride of a once powerful people, the Nephites--once so highly favoured of the Lord, but at that time in darkness, doomed to suffer extermination by the hand of their barbarous and uncivilized brethren. From the top of this hill, Mormon, with a few others, after the battle, gazed with horror...."
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Sweet! Let's get our shovels and start digging. I wonder if the artifacts will fetch as much as the National Treasure?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Sweet! Let's get our shovels and start digging. I wonder if the artifacts will fetch as much as the National Treasure?
A couple of Mormons money digging in western New York. What could be more fitting?
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:35 AM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Believe me, they've tried.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
In 1834-35, Oliver Cowdery wrote a series of letters to W.W. Phelps. They were printed, with minor changes, in the Church's new Kirtland monthly, the Messenger and Advocate.

Cowdery's letters are the earliest published accounts of the details of Mormonism's beginnings. The following is from his seventh letter, which was published in mid-1835. It reveals Cowdery's belief as to the location of the final battles of the Jaredites and Nephites:

"I must now give you some description of the place where, and the manner in which these records were deposited.

You are acquainted with the mail road from Palmyra, Wayne Co. to Canandaigua, Ontario Co. N.Y. and also, as you pass from the former to the latter place, before arriving at the little village of Manchester, say from three to four, or about four miles from Palmyra, you pass a large hill on the East side of the road. Why I say large, is, because it is as large perhaps as any in that country. To a person acquainted with this road, a description would be unnecessary, as it is the largest and rises the highest of any on that route. The north end rises quite sudden until it assumes a level with the more southerly extremity, and I think I may say an elevation higher than at the south a short distance, say half or three fourths of a mile. As you pass toward Canandaigua it lessens gradually until the surface assumes its common level, or is broken by other smaller hills or ridges, water courses and ravines. I think I am justified in saying that this is the highest hill for some distance round, and I am certain that its appearance, as it rises so suddenly from a plain on the north, must attract the notice of the traveller as he passes by.

At about one mile west rises another ridge of less height, running parallel with the former, leaving a beautiful vale between. The soil is of the first quality for the country, and under a state of cultivation, which gives a prospect at once imposing, when one reflects on the fact, that here, between these hills, the entire power and national strength of both the Jaredites and Nephites were destroyed.

By turning to the 529th and 530th pages of the Book of Mormon, you will read Mormon's account of the last struggle of his people, as they were encamped around this hill Cumorah (It is printed Camorah, which is an error.) In this valley fell the remaining strength and pride of a once powerful people, the Nephites--once so highly favoured of the Lord, but at that time in darkness, doomed to suffer extermination by the hand of their barbarous and uncivilized brethren. From the top of this hill, Mormon, with a few others, after the battle, gazed with horror...."
I mapquested it: http://www.mapquest.com/mq/2-CCS7

The red star represents Manchester. Palmyra is due north, where 21 and 31 intersect.

The large hill that Cowdery describes is Cumorah - at least, where the Cumorah visitors center, etc. is today.

Interestingly, a history of Ontario County, NY from 1883 situates "Mormon Hill" northwest of town. Today's Cumorah is clearly northeast.

Quote:
Joe Smith, the Mormon prophet, resided in this town [Manchester] with his father; and Mormon Hill, the place where the gold bible was found, is situated a little northwest of the center of the town.
http://history.rays-place.com/ny/manchester-ny.htm

Here's a schematic plan from hillcumorah.org: http://www.hillcumorah.org/SiteMap.aspx