cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road
Default Lesson 33: A small note

Helaman 3:3-4

Quote:
3 And it came to pass in the forty and sixth, yea, there was much contention and many dissensions; in the which there were an exceedingly great many who departed out of the land of Zarahemla, and went forth unto the land northward to inherit the land. 4 And they did travel to an exceedingly great distance, insomuch that they came to large bodies of water and many rivers.
  • Why do you think Mormon mentions the Nephite migrations? Why is it an important part of the narrative in the first few chapters of Helaman? Do we really need to know that some Nephites skipped town?

• Does this chapter provide important contrast with chapter 2 where the Gadianton Robbers are introduced for the first time? On the other hand, are the two meant to parallel each other in some sense?

• Is it possible that the migration speaks more directly about the health of Nephite society than the existence and actions of the robbers?

Mormon next launches into a discussion of Nephite records from 13-17. The highlight of the pericope is probably verses 15-16:
Quote:
15 But behold, there are many books and many records of every kind, and they have been kept chiefly by the Nephites. 16 And they have been handed down from one generation to another by the Nephites, even until they have fallen into transgression and have been murdered, plundered, and hunted, and driven forth, and slain, and scattered upon the face of the earth, and mixed with the Lamanites until they are no more called the Nephites, becoming wicked, and wild, and ferocious, yea, even becoming Lamanites.
  • Why include this discussion? Is Mormon off on a tangent? Paid by the word?

• How does this seeming digression link with the surrounding events in Helaman? Specifically is there a link in terms of theme between these verses and the Nephite migrations or Gadianton Robbers?

• Is Morman juxtaposing the Nephites greatest triumph with their greatest failures? Do the records represent the best of the Nephite accomplishment? Is he trying to give us a sense of what was lost? Is trying to link how pride and contentions led to a break in the fabric of the society and then remind the reader how costly the break down was to not only the Nephites but other people?
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:39 AM   #2
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

you rock. so you're not taking the Marriott school offer?
Old 08-28-2008, 04:46 AM   #3
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
you rock. so you're not taking the Marriott school offer?
Ya, I should have said something generally. I did turn that down in spring (I really almost went. I really like the BYU finance department. they are really great (yes ute fans, I like the Utah finance department as well) ) And given that I am running regressions at 12:41 am in my office, one wonders if I really made the right decision.

Last edited by pelagius; 08-28-2008 at 04:50 AM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote