cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2008, 05:23 AM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

This will enlighten concerning the significance of that blurb from Harold Bloom on Givens' dust jacket:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/17/bo...prod=permalink

Remember this is the ONLY thing Chino could come up with that Harold Bloom had said about the Book of Mormon. He called it exegesis.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:13 PM   #12
Gifted Fish

Gifted Fish is on a distinguished road

I liked the book for its explanation of the role of the BofM historically in the church. I read it awhile ago, and it was the first time I really became aware of how JS used the book not so much for its content or doctrine (how many quotes do you see where JS refers to Nephi or anyone else in the book?) but that the revelation of the book itself was the proof of the restoration.

It did a decent job of addressing criticisms of the book and not trying to answer all of them but just raised possible explanations on either side. Didn't feel like apologetics.

Maybe this also shows how ignorant I am, but it was the first time I heard that Nephi's likely path was through the Indian Ocean and the Pacific rather than across the Atlantic (my Columbus-oriented understanding of ocean crossings). Still not sure how they threaded through Indonesia/Malaysia without landing there, but I guess they had to leave something for that guy who went north (Hagoth? or Mulek?) to inhabit later.

Only criticism is that I wished Givens would have spent more time analyzing the role of dance in the Nephite/Lamanite culture.
Gifted Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:32 PM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted Fish View Post
Maybe this also shows how ignorant I am, but it was the first time I heard that Nephi's likely path was through the Indian Ocean and the Pacific rather than across the Atlantic (my Columbus-oriented understanding of ocean crossings).
No. You're not ignorant. Givens is. An academic engaging in such flights of complete fancy is ridiculous. How could he know this?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote