cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I've spent over a month in Italy....

over the span of my life, most recently a week about 3 months ago, and have never had a tasty dish.

I've enjoyed some cheese pizza with marinara sauce, have loved gelato, have enjoyed some corner deli sandwiches, but have never truly enjoyed a sit down meal.

I have tried all the recommendations of guide books, locals, hoteliers, people who have been there before and have never experienced anything as good as Olive Garden, and I detest the OG.

I've eaten in the North, Central and Southern. The closest meal to anything good was in the shitty city of Naples, and a meal of Calamari in Venice.

What gives those that have also traveled and have lived there?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I ask why you don't like Italian food? What is it that you don't find delicious?

The time spent on my mission has made me something of an Italian food snob. I've only found one place in Salt Lake that I would say is authentic; everything else has been "Americanized" by excessive amounts of sauce or ingredients.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
over the span of my life, most recently a week about 3 months ago, and have never had a tasty dish.

I've enjoyed some cheese pizza with marinara sauce, have loved gelato, have enjoyed some corner deli sandwiches, but have never truly enjoyed a sit down meal.

I have tried all the recommendations of guide books, locals, hoteliers, people who have been there before and have never experienced anything as good as Olive Garden, and I detest the OG.

I've eaten in the North, Central and Southern. The closest meal to anything good was in the shitty city of Naples, and a meal of Calamari in Venice.

What gives those that have also traveled and have lived there?
I have had many great meals in Italy, but perhaps our taste buds are greatly divergent.

I enjoy the salted hams, the cheeses, the pastas. To have spent that much time in Italy and not to enjoy the food is truly odd.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Can I ask why you don't like Italian food? What is it that you don't find delicious?

The time spent on my mission has made me something of an Italian food snob. I've only found one place in Salt Lake that I would say is authentic; everything else has been "Americanized" by excessive amounts of sauce or ingredients.
I love American Italian food. I can't think of anything better than Olive Oil or Balsamic Vinegar as far as food enhancement is concerned. I love, absolutely love Caputo's. The salads are so full of flavor explosion it's almost orgasmic. The fusion of tastes is incredible.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:42 PM   #5
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I have had many great meals in Italy, but perhaps our taste buds are greatly divergent.

I enjoy the salted hams, the cheeses, the pastas. To have spent that much time in Italy and not to enjoy the food is truly odd.
I've enjoyed the hams and cheeses I've had on hard rolls in corner delis. I enjoy Toast, but I haven't enjoyed a sit down pasta meal.

On my last trip I asked for suggestions from multiple different sources, consulted various books, decided on a restaurant, and upon arrival of the first pasta dish I almost puked. I had some great Octupus, but was extremely disappointed otherwise.

I have asked multiple people, and am not the only one who feels this way about cuisine in the boot country.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I love, absolutely love Caputo's. The salads are so full of flavor explosion it's almost orgasmic. The fusion of tastes is incredible.
Who doesn't love Caputo's though? There is rarely a thread that mentions good food in SLC, especially deli or Italian that doesn't mention Caputo's.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I've enjoyed the hams and cheeses I've had on hard rolls in corner delis. I enjoy Toast, but I haven't enjoyed a sit down pasta meal.

On my last trip I asked for suggestions from multiple different sources, consulted various books, decided on a restaurant, and upon arrival of the first pasta dish I almost puked. I had some great Octupus, but was extremely disappointed otherwise.

I have asked multiple people, and am not the only one who feels this way about cuisine in the boot country.
Well, either you're the harshest culinary critic ever, or you've had extremely bad luck.

I've had a great meal in Venice, many in Vicenza, Modena, the Lakes District, including the mountains as well such as Asiago, Cinque Terre, even in some of the auotstrade sections.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:01 PM   #8
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Who doesn't love Caputo's though? There is rarely a thread that mentions good food in SLC, especially deli or Italian that doesn't mention Caputo's.
True, true.

Next time you take your wife there, get one Italian Sausage Sub, and a Tri-Salad Sampler, with anti-pasti, pesto and bread salads. Return and tell me how it went. I'm sure two hours after consumption your mouth will still be buzzing.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:03 PM   #9
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I've had a great meal in Venice, many in Vicenza, Modena, the Lakes District, including the mountains as well such as Asiago, Cinque Terre, even in some of the auotstrade sections.
I'm easily satisfied. I've tried traditional dishes, regional dishes, and just haven't been happy.

In the Cinque Terre I've had a decent pesto dish but nothing like a pesto sauce you'd have at Paradise Bakery.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:04 PM   #10
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
True, true.

Next time you take your wife there, get one Italian Sausage Sub, and a Tri-Salad Sampler, with anti-pasti, pesto and bread salads. Return and tell me how it went. I'm sure two hours after consumption your mouth will still be buzzing.
I will definitely try the Italian Sausage Sub. I've been impressed with the Pork Loin and Meatball, but I'm always game to try something new. In fact, maybe I'll eat there for lunch tomorrow.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote