cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 04:06 PM   #11
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
1. Gonzales appears to be lying to the Congress; and
2. The entire DOJ appears to be incompetent and paralyzed at the moment (which reflects very poorly on the head of the DOJ).
I didn't say I thought he was the greatest administrator in the world. As I've said repeatedly, I've never been a huge Gonzales fan, and it certainly appears as if the DOJ is in disarray on this issue.

That said, I'm not as free with the term "liar" as you are ... I know how easy it is to have your words twisted to mean something you didn't intend (Cali is a chief offender in this category). I also can see how it'd be possible to make an honest mistake, and instead of being permitted to correct it, you get pounded into the dirt over it.

Thus, I'm not willing to throw in the towel on him yet, especially since the sharks started circling. Frankly, it's just not that big a deal to me, despite sequitur's profanity-laced temper tantrum.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:07 PM   #12
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Now now, we're trying to be more civil here, remember? Vulgarity and personal attacks are unnecessary.
I am civil. I love Tex. He's a smart guy (too smart to say most of the things that he does) and is well read. He just needs to nut up and start thinking for himself.

As for the vulgarity, I apologize. I don't mean to offend, but I'm not smart enough to express myself without resorting to vulgarities. I'll work on that.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:12 PM   #13
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I am civil. I love Tex. He's a smart guy (too smart to say most of the things that he does) and is well read. He just needs to nut up and start thinking for himself.

As for the vulgarity, I apologize. I don't mean to offend, but I'm not smart enough to express myself without resorting to vulgarities. I'll work on that.
I am smart and well read, but don't think for myself and most of what I say is not smart. Heh, ok.

Apology accepted.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-25-2007, 04:20 PM   #14
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I am smart and well read, but don't think for myself and most of what I say is not smart. Heh, ok.

Apology accepted.
I didn't say that what you say is not smart. I said you're too smart to say what you say. There's a big difference.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:34 PM   #15
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

So Gonzales should be removed from office to restore credibility in the department.

Are you're saying that he should be fired for political reasons?
Old 05-25-2007, 06:40 PM   #16
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As I said before (and as you wholeheartedly agreed), I expect something very different from my government than you do, like honesty.
Honesty is so overrated.

Good thing Bush is "restoring integrity" in the White House.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:15 PM   #17
Tex

Quote:
You wouldn't use the term "liar?" How would you categorize his answers to the Congress?

Did you have anything to do with the firings? Gonzales: no.
Have you talked to any of the witnesses? Gonzales: no, and I won't.
Do you have any regrets? Gonzales: I should have involved McNulty more (who he then later blamed for being primarily responsible for the firings).
Pardon me if I don't accept your characterization of the circumstances. I could point you to some National Review or Powerlineblog commentary that would take a much different view from yours, were you interested in it.

Also, I feel compelled to note that I'm no great Gonzales defender. My "defense," as it were, is lukewarm at best. I simply don't have the passion for the issue that you apparently do, and don't see a reason to sacrifice yet another high administration official to the Democrat demigods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Honesty is so overrated.

Good thing Bush is "restoring integrity" in the White House.
Given the multiplicity of scandals in the previous administration, it's hard to see how the Bush tenure has been anything but at least one notch higher on the integrity scale, his lapses in judgment notwithstanding.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 05-25-2007 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Additional Gonzales comment.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:59 PM   #18
Tex

Quote:
I am always interested in reading more on an issue. Send me your links, please.
Here's a series of three from Powerline discussing the Goodling testimony.

http://powerlineblog.com/archives/017731.php
http://powerlineblog.com/archives/017735.php
http://powerlineblog.com/archives/017736.php

Here's a brief one quoting Krauthammer (who has been quite critical of Gonzales) on Hume's show.

http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...k2YTc5NmRiNDM=

Here's Byron York with a pretty scathing review of Gonzales' performance at his own hearing on the issue.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...mQwOTg=&w=MQ==

Notice that while none of these links have anything particularly nice to say about him, none of them really find outright impropriety in what he did (as opposed to you). As I've said repeatedly, I'm very agnostic on the man, especially in light of Capitol Hill's witch-hunt atmosphere. Gonzales resigns, and they'll just move on to their next victim ... who you will then lemming-like also call a liar.

I'm just relieved we didn't end up with him on the Supreme Court.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young