cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road
Default Bush and the Supreme Court

I know this was a long time ago but I was curious what the lawyers on here thought about President Bush's failed appointment of Harriet Meyers to the Supreme Court. I'm obviously not qualified to comment on her qualifications, but to even a non-lawyer like me she did not seem to be remotely qualified compared to say, Roberts or Alito or a lot of other choices he had. What was Bush thinking? Was that mostly an attempt at rewarding a friend, or what? Or was she qualified and why?

Last edited by BlueK; 05-23-2007 at 08:26 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:31 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

It was stunning. One of the biggest brain farts Bush has had while in office.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I know this was a long time ago but I was curious what the lawyers on here thought about President Bush's failed appointment of Harriet Meyers to the Supreme Court. I'm obviously not qualified to comment on her qualifications, but to even a non-lawyer like me she did not seem to be remotely qualified compared to say, Roberts or Alito or a lot of other choices he had. What was Bush thinking? Was that mostly an attempt at rewarding a friend, or what? Or was she qualified and why?
Bush, I think, once again fell into the trap of thinking that he can do whatever he wants to do as president no matter what anyone else thinks about it.

I think he was looking to put someone on the Court with whom he was very familiar and comfortable. He has known Miers for a very long time and was confident in her abilities, to the point that he was blinded by her lack of obvious qualifications. He also doesn't care nearly as much as the base cares about Roe v. Wade, I think, so her positions on abortion didn't bother him in the least (or she expressed she would be a pro-choice judge and he believed her as a close friend).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:19 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

He appears to have chosen well, but I have not read many of the new court's decisions.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:36 AM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

My Civ Pro professor felt Meyers' nomination was just a strategy, that Bush expected the public to cry cronyism from the start, and she would never get in. It was a ploy so when Bush later nominated Alito, who was the person he wanted all along, people would be relieved that it wasn't another Meyers and Alito would get in without facing the same backlash.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:17 AM   #6
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

I was fine with Miers in comparison to ALito. She was older and presumably a lesser legal mind and than Alito, who is formidable. He is going to be around forever and so is Roberts.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:10 PM   #7
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
My Civ Pro professor felt Meyers' nomination was just a strategy, that Bush expected the public to cry cronyism from the start, and she would never get in. It was a ploy so when Bush later nominated Alito, who was the person he wanted all along, people would be relieved that it wasn't another Meyers and Alito would get in without facing the same backlash.
This idea crossed my mind at the time. I did do a quick refresh of The Prince during that semester.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:32 PM   #8
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I don't buy it at all. Read Jan Crawford Greenburg's account of the story. It wouldn't add up to say that Miers was a decoy. Besides, I don't think Bush would let Miers be crucified like that to grease the wheels for Alito (when he could have probably gotten Alito without the Miers nomination anyways).
Old 05-24-2007, 03:55 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I don't buy it at all. Read Jan Crawford Greenburg's account of the story. It wouldn't add up to say that Miers was a decoy. Besides, I don't think Bush would let Miers be crucified like that to grease the wheels for Alito (when he could have probably gotten Alito without the Miers nomination anyways).
It's always a source of amusement to me that the opinion that Bush is dumber than rocks and the conjecture that he's smart enough to craft this kind of twisted plot can exist in the same person at the same time.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:03 PM   #10
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
It's always a source of amusement to me that the opinion that Bush is dumber than rocks and the conjecture that he's smart enough to craft this kind of twisted plot can exist in the same person at the same time.
I'm not entirely sure you read my post before responding. I just said he DIDN'T craft that kind of twisted plot.