cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 04:29 AM   #11
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Republicans and the church

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
I do find it disturbing that so many Mormon Republicans think the party is ordained of God. That makes having a rational discussion on any political topic very difficult.
Yes indeed, it gets pretty old. But you gotta admit, it makes for some pretty entertaining irrational discussions from time to time.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:34 AM   #12
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I do find it disturbing that so many Mormon Republicans think the party is ordained of God.
Silly overstatement. The simple fact is that there are positions taken by the Democratic party that simply cannot be reconciled with LDS teachings. That doesn't make the Republican party ordained of God, but merely the lesser of two evils.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:26 AM   #13
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I do find it disturbing that so many Mormon Republicans think the party is ordained of God.
I feel the same way. I have voted Republican for most of my life but the Neocons have changed the party so much I just don't feel like I can identify with it anymore.

It seems like it's all about bad or worse these days. On one side I find a candidate I can't support supports an "immoral" viewpoint on abortion or gay marriage. On the other side I've got a guy I can't support because he's got an equally evil attitude toward the poor, healthcare and other "moral" issues.
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:30 PM   #14
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The simple fact is that there are positions taken by the Democratic party that simply cannot be reconciled with LDS teachings.
Therefore, you can't be a good Mormon and a democrat at the same time, right? You fall into that camp?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:32 PM   #15
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug
Quote:
The simple fact is that there are positions taken by the Democratic party that simply cannot be reconciled with LDS teachings.
Therefore, you can't be a good Mormon and a democrat at the same time, right? You fall into that camp?
Yeah, that's exactly what I said. :roll:
Old 12-16-2005, 02:44 PM   #16
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Silly overstatement. The simple fact is that there are positions taken by the Democratic party that simply cannot be reconciled with LDS teachings. That doesn't make the Republican party ordained of God, but merely the lesser of two evils.
I agree with this.

Also, way to characterize most LDS people as racist back in the 60's. That was class.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:54 PM   #17
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
Quote:
I agree with this.

Also, way to characterize most LDS people as racist back in the 60's. That was class.
i try to figure out what issues that do not allow you to reconcile yourself as a member and be a democrat...

abortion? church is pro-choice last time i checked....

redistribution of wealth in the form of social programs? the church has the best welfare program in the world....

what issues cause one not to be a democrat and a member?

gay marriage might be the only one i can think of. and not the whole democratic party believes in gay marriage.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:59 PM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sorry, but this just demonstrates your ignorance. Were you even around in the 60's? I was. The LDS culture was very racist.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 04:02 PM   #19
fuegote

fuegote

My grandparents, bless their hearts, would probably be considered racists based simply on what they say. It was the cultre then.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:13 PM   #20
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
Quote:
Sorry, but this just demonstrates your ignorance. Were you even around in the 60's? I was. The LDS culture was very racist.
The LDS culture, or was it just American culture?