cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2006, 01:15 PM   #21
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I'm convinced that if Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton were male, they wouldn't be despised nearly as much as they are. SU hit it square on the head.
I think it is exactly the opposite. I think if anything they get a pass because they are. Not so much Hillary of late because she has moderated her views, but don't forget that Lazio lost the election to her in no small part because of the perception that he had physically threatened her on stage.

I could just as easily say that Katherine Harris, who has been viciously attacked over her appearance, would not have suffered the hatred she has if she were a man. Maybe this is because the left is patronizing of women and minorities and has deep seated sexist tendencies that stem from paternalism. Or maybe the reality is that she just happens to be a women and the left has other good (in its collective mind) reasons not to like her.

I guess if someone wants to pat themself on the back and say "see how unelighten the other party is" there will always be evidence for it. I think the reality is that powerful people in the opposition always get attacked on whatever grounds are available. Hell, if you want to talk about a tough lady who has taken some heat on at least on the race front lets look at Condi Rice, and yet a huge chunk of us racists misogynists on the right would love to see her toss her hat in the ring (won't happen) for 2008. Go figure.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:17 PM   #22
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm convinced that if Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton were male, they wouldn't be despised nearly as much as they are. SU hit it square on the head.
I’m sure Pelosi is female, but what convinces you that Hillary isn't a man (namely, the devil) in drag?

Pelosi is saying all the right things, but I just don't know that she can rein in the more virulent anti-bushites (Waxman et al). Two years of investigations that can be portrayed as political witch hunts will not serve the Democrats well. Can Pelosi, and Reid for that matter, keep things from devolving into such?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 03:03 PM   #23
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I think it is exactly the opposite. I think if anything they get a pass because they are. Not so much Hillary of late because she has moderated her views, but don't forget that Lazio lost the election to her in no small part because of the perception that he had physically threatened her on stage.

I could just as easily say that Katherine Harris, who has been viciously attacked over her appearance, would not have suffered the hatred she has if she were a man. Maybe this is because the left is patronizing of women and minorities and has deep seated sexist tendencies that stem from paternalism. Or maybe the reality is that she just happens to be a women and the left has other good (in its collective mind) reasons not to like her.

I guess if someone wants to pat themself on the back and say "see how unelighten the other party is" there will always be evidence for it. I think the reality is that powerful people in the opposition always get attacked on whatever grounds are available. Hell, if you want to talk about a tough lady who has taken some heat on at least on the race front lets look at Condi Rice, and yet a huge chunk of us racists misogynists on the right would love to see her toss her hat in the ring (won't happen) for 2008. Go figure.
Women from across the political spectrum have their femaleness used against them. The media dwell more on their appearance and perceived feminity (or lack thereof). Ann Coulter's Adam's apple, Katherine Harris' man hands, Monica Lewinsky's weight, Paula Jones' big hair, the color of Hillary's pant suit--it never ends. And I'm not even getting into the PMS cracks or descriptions of men as "assertive" and women as "bitchy." People (men and women both, actually) are more apt to play the gender expectation card on women they don't like--but it gets played. Sure, men occasionally get taken to task in similar ways, but it isn't as frequent or as intense.

The CBers conservativism doesn't make them advance such criticisms, but it does go pretty far in explaining why certain women are their targets.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 03:41 PM   #24
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
This has been a strange week. First Hoyacoug and I agree on a political thread, now this. Maybe this is like celebrities who always die in threes and we have some other unlikley agreement to look forward to.
I agree.

PHEW!!! Got that third one out of the way.

Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 03:55 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The reason people hate her is because her looks. She is an example of what happens with an East Coast woman gets old and undergoes various salvage medical procedures.

MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:23 PM   #26
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Women from across the political spectrum have their femaleness used against them. The media dwell more on their appearance and perceived feminity (or lack thereof). Ann Coulter's Adam's apple, Katherine Harris' man hands, Monica Lewinsky's weight, Paula Jones' big hair, the color of Hillary's pant suit--it never ends. And I'm not even getting into the PMS cracks or descriptions of men as "assertive" and women as "bitchy." People (men and women both, actually) are more apt to play the gender expectation card on women they don't like--but it gets played. Sure, men occasionally get taken to task in similar ways, but it isn't as frequent or as intense.

The CBers conservativism doesn't make them advance such criticisms, but it does go pretty far in explaining why certain women are their targets.
I hope that no one thought I was defending anyone on CB, nor am I suggesting that women in politics don't get criticized about their appearance in ways that men don't. The truth is, I do agree that CBers fear a powerful liberal woman but I would not make the leap that how those extremists over there feel is true of conservatives in general. I don't think anyone made that leap, I was just responding to what I was subjectively inferring.

I do still think, however, that the benefits and disadvantages of being a woman in politics very nearly even out and that (as you say) when they are targeted on a gender basis it is across the political spectrum.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #27
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The reason people hate her is because her looks. She is an example of what happens with an East Coast woman gets old and undergoes various salvage medical procedures.

You know the problem there just might be that you look at her and can imagine that she was attractive once. Hillary and Pelosi and just very average 60ish women and you don't expect them to look good. Harris at 50ish is just young enough that you expect her to look better. At least I do.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:37 PM   #28
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

After almost a full year in office, does anyone think Nancy Pelosi is a good leader?

http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...MwNDg1NTQ5YmQ=

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:51 PM   #29
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default Evidence that this this true

Quote:
People love Harry Reid.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:54 PM   #30
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

One thing that nobody has brought up is that Pelosi has large breasts.

Stop denying you never noticed that.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote