cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2006, 04:57 PM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In honor of the Utah State Fair I made...

funnel cake last night.

1 C water
3/4 stick Butter
1 TBSP Sugar
1/8 TSP Salt

Bring these ingredients to a boil.

1 C flour

Mix in flour forming a ball. Let rest and place in a mixing bowl.

Incorporate 5 medium eggs, one at a time, making sure egg is completely incorporated before adding another egg. I have a large mixer and on the lowest speed adding one egg at a time allowing the batter to mix completely.

Fry in oil, remove and serve with whatever you want.

I felt like I was at the state fair.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:08 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

In honor of the Utah St. Football team i rolled 4 huge joints!!!
Old 09-15-2006, 06:08 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Interesting. I'll bet my kids would enjoy making these.

So, you add the flour directly to the boiled ingredients? I assume that makes a pretty sticky/tough dough ball.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:19 PM   #4
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski
Interesting. I'll bet my kids would enjoy making these.

So, you add the flour directly to the boiled ingredients? I assume that makes a pretty sticky/tough dough ball.
Yep, add it directly to the boiling ingredients, it forms a pliable ball, after it started to ball I removed it from the heat, put it in my mixing bowl, mixed some of the smaller chunks and let it rest.

For frying the dough I cut a small hole in the corner of a glad lock bag and pushed the dough through the little slit into the oil in a criss cut pattern. My first cake I made fell apart and was little squigglies, as my wife called them, of doughy goodness. I made smaller cakes on the subsequent tries and used a large metal, holed, colander thing to flip the cakes, ensuring they were gold brown on either side. You really could just squeeze little strips of dough into the oil, fish them out, cover them with powdered sugar, and enjoy.

I told my mom this morning that I had made funnel cake and she said essentially the same thing you did, it would be lots of fun for the grandkids to make these. The recipe is real simple, it took all of 5 minutes to prepare, and was really good.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:09 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
Yep, add it directly to the boiling ingredients, it forms a pliable ball, after it started to ball I removed it from the heat, put it in my mixing bowl, mixed some of the smaller chunks and let it rest.

For frying the dough I cut a small hole in the corner of a glad lock bag and pushed the dough through the little slit into the oil in a criss cut pattern. My first cake I made fell apart and was little squigglies, as my wife called them, of doughy goodness. I made smaller cakes on the subsequent tries and used a large metal, holed, colander thing to flip the cakes, ensuring they were gold brown on either side. You really could just squeeze little strips of dough into the oil, fish them out, cover them with powdered sugar, and enjoy.

I told my mom this morning that I had made funnel cake and she said essentially the same thing you did, it would be lots of fun for the grandkids to make these. The recipe is real simple, it took all of 5 minutes to prepare, and was really good.
Thanks.

When we were in France last spring, there were a lot of streetside vendors selling the French version of churros. I think they called them "chi-chi's". They had a press with a big hand crank that would squeeze out the dough into the oil. They would snip it into strips with scissors, fry it, and then sprinkle with sugar. They were heavenly.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
fusnik11

Quote:
Thanks.

When we were in France last spring, there were a lot of streetside vendors selling the French version of churros. I think they called them "chi-chi's". They had a press with a big hand crank that would squeeze out the dough into the oil. They would snip it into strips with scissors, fry it, and then sprinkle with sugar. They were heavenly.
One of the things I miss about Brasil is the street sold churros filled with whatever cream flavor you like. Talk about heaven. they also had these scone like balls filled with cream, topped with icing and shaved coconut that they called 'dreams.' Talk about wet dreams.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:46 PM   #7
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Thanks.

I went to Tijuana one time and this lady was trying to sell me her chi-chis. She was a vendor of some type. I went looking for a churro instead.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote