cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2006, 02:22 AM   #1
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Democrats are going to go down in flames.

r.f.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:28 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

If the dems don't advance it, who will?

It would seem that both major parties have been hijacked by the fringes. Perhaps it's time for me to find something else. I wonder what the National Radical Meadow Party is up to these days?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:39 AM   #3
Robin

r.f.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:48 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute

It would seem that both major parties have been hijacked by the fringes. Perhaps it's time for me to find something else. I wonder what the National Radical Meadow Party is up to these days?
The radical right is better at keeping all of their ducks in a row. I have the sinking feeling that we will have to endure some ugly right-wing politics for a long time. I hope that McCain will be slight correction, but he may very well not get the nomination. After Hillary's stupid comment on MLK day, I have come to realize what a tin ear the woman has. I think she is smart enough to be president, and would probably do a fair job, but after the 'plantation' speach, I realize she lacks her husband's gift for the gab. For a moment, I could totally see her through Snipe's eyes.
I agree with you on all points, save for the Hillary probably doing a fair job comment. IMO, she's the opposite side of the GW coin - she'd do what she wants to do and to hell with everyone else.

I still say our best bet is the Bill the Cat/Opus ticket.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

You know it's interesting where the extremes of both parties have become more dis-connected from the people who vote them in more and more all the time.

Several years ago my first cousin, A Republican, had beat out incumbent Merrill Cook in the primaries, and was running for the 2nd Congressional seat here in Salt Lake City. He was running against Jim Matheson, a Democrat.

I've mostly voted Republican/conservative in my life, but on occasion having voted for a Democrat or Independent, in short for the man whom I feel most represents my ideals.

Early on in the campaign process with my cousin I was heavily involved in the whole thing. Calling registered voters on behalf of the candidate, going door to door, attending all the debates, and helping out wherever I could. Then something interesting happened as November drew closer.

I began to see more and more of my cousin and what kind of guy he really was and in truth became very dis-enchanted with his lack of honesty and most especially, the way that he treated others. I won't go into details, but I eventually stopped supporting him and ended up voting for Matheson.

It was my first REAL inside look at the inner workings of politics and a lot of the complete garbage contained therein.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:01 PM   #6
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
It was my first REAL inside look at the inner workings of politics and a lot of the complete garbage contained therein.
It is the nature of politics to corrupt. Anyone with any power at all in politics has already sold their soul. They have had to lie and cheat and sell their votes for favor.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:10 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The radical right is better at keeping all of their ducks in a row. I have the sinking feeling that we will have to endure some ugly right-wing politics for a long time. I hope that McCain will be slight correction, but he may very well not get the nomination. After Hillary's stupid comment on MLK day, I have come to realize what a tin ear the woman has. I think she is smart enough to be president, and would probably do a fair job, but after the 'plantation' speach, I realize she lacks her husband's gift for the gab. For a moment, I could totally see her through Snipe's eyes.
I agree with you on all points, save for the Hillary probably doing a fair job comment. IMO, she's the opposite side of the GW coin - she'd do what she wants to do and to hell with everyone else.

I still say our best bet is the Bill the Cat/Opus ticket.
A life with Hillary as president would be living hell. I can imagine nobody who would damage most of our interests here more than she, well mabye Fidel Castro, but there would be few who could do more damage than she. I hope the Plantation Speech is archived for frequent use.

Clinton, Bill that is, had one thing right in his speeches, not necessarily his approaches, in that it applied to his rhetoric, "It's the Economy, Stupid."

If your policies are to dissipate wealth, discourage saving or investment, make work not worthwhile and to radically alter existing structures for personal satisfaction, you will work a hardship on a majority of our citizens.

I could see succession being worthwhile if Herr Hillary ever rode the Plantation as head Plantation Owner.

She is basically a demagogue who believes she's brighter than everybody else, and anybody who disagrees is from the Evil Right Wing.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:33 AM   #8
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm still amazed at the pass she was given on her "vast right-wing conspiracy" comments. I sat there with my mount agape thinking, "Now we'll see how fair and balanced the U.S. media really is." Hardly a word.

And we thought Nixon was paranoid.

:roll:

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:00 PM   #9
Robin

r.f.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:10 PM   #10
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
But the vast right wing conspiracy is mentioned OFTEN in the media. Maybe not often enough for YOUR liking, but the media has gotten years of play out of that slip.
Perhaps you are correct, it being hard for me to comment much on what the U.S. media focuses on. At the time, however, I thought it odd that so many reports focusing on the comment came away giving partial credence to it, as if opposition parties are rarely out to "get" the president.

And Matt Lauer just sat there going bald.

If you are correct, then my spirits can be raised in knowing that, like wine, media coverage of Mrs. Clinton's miscues will only get better with age. If so, then it will be enough for MY liking and I can start sleeping at night.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote