cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall
Default Violent Islamic extemists in Afghanistan

'Fresh protests against newspaper cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed erupted across Afghanistan Monday, with three demonstrators killed and up to 20 wounded in gunfire, officials said.

Protestors also threw stones at the Danish, British and French embassies and the United Nations head office in the capital Kabul and smashed car windows.

The worst violence was outside the main US military base in Afghanistan, 60 kilometers (37 miles) north of Kabul, where two demonstrators were killed and 13 wounded in gunfire from within the crowd of about 5,000, Bagram district chief Kabir Ahmad said.'

I thought that the following provides telling insight into the mindset of those at the protest:

One banner read: "We cannot tolerate any insult to our religion."

and

Some shouted, "Freedom of speech does not mean you can say or draw whatever you want... the enemies want to destroy Islam, we are ready to die for Mohammed and for Islam".

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060207...diaafghanistan
Old 02-07-2006, 04:54 PM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I wonder when the rest of the world is going to wake up, especially the hardcore liberals who seem to think that constant dialogue works.....well here's a secret that most rational thinking people have known for a very long time, backed up with historical fact upon historical fact,,,,,you can't negotiate with extremists,,,,,,,,,they know one way,,,theirs, and isn't an efficient means with these whack jobs.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

What do you propose, then? Shall we draw the line and say "It's either you or me"? Is the world to open its eyes and finally realize that peace is not a rational possibility? Do we need to stop throwing good money after bad and nuke the SOBs before they can nuke us?

Furthermore, do we, as rational individuals, need to lead the way in implementing this new political doctrine? How do we go about doing that? Now that we have recognized the impossibility of a peaceful solution to the Muslim problem, how many of them do we need to kill in order to force the rest of them into submission? Or, should we just not worry about carrying the remainder and exterminate them all?
Old 02-07-2006, 05:39 PM   #4
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point

My thoughts exactly AA, what use is there in saying that they are all blood thirsty inhuman monsters unless you plan on killing them all.

Violence isn't going to win this war.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:33 AM   #5
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

I am for love and peace as much for anyone else. I am also a pragmatist. If we can teach those in the middle east the gospel(as in the BoM as AA alluded to in another thread)and get everyone to calm down that way then fine. However, given the current non-solicitation policies of most middle east countries that seems doubtful - at least for a good long while.

So what are we left with?

We are left to protect ourselves assiduously and to not trust the other side. Some may argue that that just exasterbates & elongates that problem. Could be. But the west cannot afford to make mistakes in this regard. If usama offers a truce what exactly do you think that the motivations are behind that?

Its a very unfortunate situation with no one trusting each other. But I just don't know how to get around it. The US is distrusting of the muslim world and a good portion of the muslim world(at least in the me) have a stark hatred for the US and everything that it represents.

I do not condemn Islam as a religion(as I have said before) nor the middle east as a whole but the situation with them needs to be treated, at the very, very least, with extreme caution.

One good thing(at least potentially) that is happening right now is the increased number of Arabs that are coming to the US to study in our colleges. That will educate them and give them some exposure to our way of life and hopefully see, at least in part, that perhaps America in not just some giant evil entity.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:10 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkili
My thoughts exactly AA, what use is there in saying that they are all blood thirsty inhuman monsters unless you plan on killing them all.

Violence isn't going to win this war.
I agree with you sentiments, but do have to point out that an act of extreme violence did end WWII. I don't endorse nuking the mid-east into oblivion, but it has proven an effective method to end conflict.

Of course, we could wait until the folks in that area have thrown all the rocks that exist. Once the rocks are gone, they won't have their preferred choice of weapons and peace is sure to follow......

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote