cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 01:33 AM   #1
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road
Default Filipino recipes

I'm looking for some good pinoy recipes. Adobo, pansit, lumpia, or any other deliciousness you have to offer.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:59 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
I'm looking for some good pinoy recipes. Adobo, pansit, lumpia, or any other deliciousness you have to offer.
If you are on cougarboard, you should ask Utesrus. He's Filipino and his family has a restaurant in Salt Lake that serves some great food.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:20 AM   #3
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Having lived and traveled in nearly all of Southeast Asia, I've been able to sample a wide variety of cuisines. I love the Philippines as a country, love Filipinos as a people, and loved the time I served a mission there. That being said, I rank Filipino food at the bottom of all the various Asian and Southeast Asian food lists. Simply not enough variety, spice, and flavor to compete.

In my opinion, the good and more well-known Filipino dishes (such as lumpia, adobo, lechon, etc.) generally have a counterpart in the cuisine of other SE Asian or Pacific Island countries that is better.

I'm not saying I dislike Filipino food - I'm just saying that I would probably prefer most any other SE Asian cuisine over Philippine cuisine.

I suppose you can count balut in the "variety" category as well but that isn't buying much.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:27 AM   #4
BlueHair

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
If you are on cougarboard, you should ask Utesrus. He's Filipino and his family has a restaurant in Salt Lake that serves some great food.
I misread "Utesrus". I was stunned for a moment that CB would allow a poster to use a part of the female anatomy as a name.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:30 AM   #5
BlueHair

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Having lived and traveled in nearly all of Southeast Asia, I've been able to sample a wide variety of cuisines. I love the Philippines as a country, love Filipinos as a people, and loved the time I served a mission there. That being said, I rank Filipino food at the bottom of all the various Asian and Southeast Asian food lists. Simply not enough variety, spice, and flavor to compete.

In my opinion, the good and more well-known Filipino dishes (such as lumpia, adobo, lechon, etc.) generally have a counterpart in the cuisine of other SE Asian or Pacific Island countries that is better.

I'm not saying I dislike Filipino food - I'm just saying that I would probably prefer most any other SE Asian cuisine over Philippine cuisine.

I suppose you can count balut in the "variety" category as well but that isn't buying much.
What region did you serve in? I was in Bicol and I liked the spices they used. Did you ever try tocino? I'm not sure if that's how it's spelled, but it was delicious.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:43 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I misread "Utesrus". I was stunned for a moment that CB would allow a poster to use a part of the female anatomy as a name.

Thanks for the tip.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:07 PM   #7
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What region did you serve in? I was in Bicol and I liked the spices they used. Did you ever try tocino? I'm not sure if that's how it's spelled, but it was delicious.
Served on the Island of Leyte the whole time - mostly in the jungle. Part of my bias against Filipino food is that you don't get much variety or spice in the jungle and Leyte isn't exactly a melting pot of cultures and cuisines. Everything was bland, bland, bland.

Comp1: "What should we have with our rice today? Fish or chicken?"
Comp2: "Hmm, we had chicken the last three nights - let's go with fish tonight. You know what would be great? It would be great if we could buy a tomato or a potato or some type of vegetable at the market."
Comp1: " Man, that would be great - I can't remember the last time I had a tomato. I hate the fact that the only thing at the market are purple yams (ube), bananas, and sweet potatos."
Comp2: "You know what else would be great? Real ketchup - that 'banana ketchup' just doesn't cut it."

Never ate beef. Occasionally had some carabao (water buffalo) but that was usually tougher than tough.

Never heard of tocino. One problem with Filipino food is that, like the language, the culinary makeup of the country is so fractured. Thus, if you go to a Pinoy restaurant in the states you usually get the usual suspects that I mentioned above (adobo, lumpia, etc.) that are more well-known. The jazzier/interesting regional and sub-regional specialities are never on the menu.

Don't get me wrong - I liked the things that were good (Lechon manok is one of my favorite all time things to eat) the problem is there just weren't enough of them.

In response to your original message: Unfortunately, I don't know any good Pinoy recipes.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote