cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2007, 12:29 AM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Korean BBQ Grill

Any experts out there on Korean BBQ? I would like to buy a small table-top gas grill to do Korean BBQ at home. I am having a tough time finding one on line. Anybody bought one before? What is a good price?
Old 02-26-2007, 12:34 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Any experts out there on Korean BBQ? I would like to buy a small table-top gas grill to do Korean BBQ at home. I am having a tough time finding one on line. Anybody bought one before? What is a good price?
So, when you invite friends and/family to your place to grill some dogs, you'll really mean it?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:51 AM   #3
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I've only cooked bulgogi in a very hot cast iron pan, which actually worked pretty well. So sorry, no help here. I do have a recipe though.

I love all the little dishes they serve you in the Korean restaurant. Mmm, cucumber kimchee.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:25 AM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

We found a new asian food store in Orem that sells pre-marinated kalbi short ribs for $2.99 a lb. My kids have always loved kalbi. But it just doesn't quite taste the same when you fry it as opposed to grilling. I figured I could use the same grill for Japanese-style yakiniku, which is just a variation on the same theme and is another family favorite.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:29 AM   #5
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
We found a new asian food store in Orem that sells pre-marinated kalbi short ribs for $2.99 a lb. My kids have always loved kalbi. But it just doesn't quite taste the same when you fry it as opposed to grilling. I figured I could use the same grill for Japanese-style yakiniku, which is just a variation on the same theme and is another family favorite.
Kalbi short ribs are awesome. Matiki Island BBQ in orem has great Kalbi ribs, my old boss served his mission in Korea and he said Matiki eventhough its a polynesian restaurant has ribs just like the ones he had in Korea.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:12 AM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Weber makes something like that. You probably will need to do the cooking outside on a Weber but their grills get very hot and are made with superb materials and workmanship. Weber is top of the line except for some specialty commercial-type varieties. I think with Asian food the problem is always getting your heat source hot enough. I'd go with a Weber on your patio picnic table. Outside cooking is also less messy and I'm sure that dish spatters greese all over. Also, I bet historically Korean BBQ was cooked outside.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:11 AM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Weber makes something like that. You probably will need to do the cooking outside on a Weber but their grills get very hot and are made with superb materials and workmanship. Weber is top of the line except for some specialty commercial-type varieties. I think with Asian food the problem is always getting your heat source hot enough. I'd go with a Weber on your patio picnic table. Outside cooking is also less messy and I'm sure that dish spatters greese all over. Also, I bet historically Korean BBQ was cooked outside.
I already have a little Weber. I am looking for those little gas grills that go in the middle of the table that they have by the millions in Korea and all over the US in the Korean BBQ restuarants.

I suppose if you go back far enough, all cooking was done outside. Or in caves?
Old 02-26-2007, 05:23 AM   #8
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeff, I'd recommend giving these guys a call.

http://www.junglejims.com/index.cfm?...B18C0AF2D31340

Jungle Jims is a terrific International Grocery Store in Cincinnati and if they don't have what you're looking for, they'll help you find it.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Jeff, let me know what you find. I am big into both Korean and Japanese cooking. We just use an electric skillet to do the "on the table" Japanese yakiniku and cook pulkogi in a frying pan. Actually both these methods were more common in Japan and Korea then an on the table gas bbq--which I have actually never seen in a Japanese or Koran home (but it's been a while). However, they are quite common in restaraunts and I also would love to have one for my home if you can find one.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote