cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 06:47 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tobacco companies are evil

Health Aff (Millwood). 2005 Jul-Aug;24(4):994-1004.

The power of paperwork: how Philip Morris neutralized the medical code for secondhand smoke.

Cook DM, Tong EK, Glantz SA, Bero LA.

Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education, University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), USA.

A new medical diagnostic code for secondhand smoke exposure became available in 1994, but as of 2004 it remained an invalid entry on a common medical form. Soon after the code appeared, Philip Morris hired a Washington consultant to influence the governmental process for creating and using medical codes. Tobacco industry documents reveal that Philip Morris budgeted more than $2 million for this "ICD-9 Project." Tactics to prevent adoption of the new code included third-party lobbying, Paperwork Reduction Act challenges, and backing an alternative coding arrangement. Philip Morris's reaction reveals the importance of policy decisions related to data collection and paperwork.

PMID: 16136637 [PubMed - in process]
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:57 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Amen to that.

Remember when Bob Dole was running for president and he said something to the effect that he wasn't sure that he believed that smoking was bad for you and that we need to wait for further research. I was absolutely stunned. Worst case of shameless pandering to a political donor I have ever seen.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 02:54 AM   #3
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cigarettes cf. Milk

I like Bob Dole, but he compared it to milk! He said some people think milk is bad for you!
Old 11-05-2005, 01:07 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tobacco is the one legal product..

on the American market that, when used as directed, will kill you.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 04:52 PM   #5
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate seeing kids smoking - and there's nothing attractive at all in it it doesn't taste good, and it doesn't give you a buzz - the only thing that I see that makes it attractive to kids is peer pressure - other kids are doing it, it seems cool, so they do it. And many of them will ultimately die from it.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote