cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Avocados!

I love 'em. Can't get enough. Wish I could plant and grow an avocado tree with a realistic chance at producing good fruit, but alas I'm in the wrong clime and apparently growing the things is a crapshoot anyway.

Also, for anyone interested in staying abreast of food trends, the next "it" oil will be avocado oil. Rich in the good fats, shown to reduce LDL and even help with prostate problems, high smoke temp (something like 500+ degrees) and supposedly the best consistency and flavor of any of the oils available.

I just ordered some online and am expecting it soon. Gonna try it first with some fish, add in a little citrus somehow and maybe some cilantro. Probably cod or salmon. Mmmmmmm.

I looooooooove avocados.

Next up, I want to try to make my own cilantro-infused olive oil. I'm sick of never having cilantro available when I want it--which is often--because of its short fridge life. The dried and frozen stuff sucks, but I've heard a good infusion is as close to the real thing as it gets. I'll let you know how it turns out, since I'm sure you're all extremely interested. :-)
Old 08-14-2006, 05:20 PM   #2
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Advocado oil, interesting stuff.

I love advocados as well, I love me some guacamole.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
OhioBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBlue
I looooooooove avocados.

Next up, I want to try to make my own cilantro-infused olive oil.
Whoa, what the heck am I thinking? Here I am talking about avocado oil and then I look forward to a cilantro infused OLIVE oil??? It's amazing the insights at which I can arrive simply by reading my own posts.

Why not go for it all? Cliantro-infused avocado oil. NOW we're talking. Next up, lime-infused avocado oil!

I'm gonna start selling this stuff if it turns out well.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:35 PM   #4
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBlue
Next up, I want to try to make my own cilantro-infused olive oil. I'm sick of never having cilantro available when I want it--which is often--because of its short fridge life. The dried and frozen stuff sucks, but I've heard a good infusion is as close to the real thing as it gets. I'll let you know how it turns out, since I'm sure you're all extremely interested. :-)
Now how does this process work?
Old 08-14-2006, 05:58 PM   #5
OhioBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
Now how does this process work?
Well I'd just be doing the homemade version. Oil infusion isn't hard to do, it's just tricky to get it just right from what I've read (acrid versus no flavor). A cilantro infusion would be as simple as blanching a couple cups of the stuff real quick, then squeezing or patting dry, then blending with a cup of oil (olive, canola, vegetable, avocado, whatever) in a good blender or processor. The idea is that all that good yummy freshness flavor gets infused into the oil, such that the oil is just a medium for whatever flavor.

The professional stuff uses better extraction techniques and refinement that really gets it down to just pure flavor. I've heard rave reviews of infused oils and essences for cooking from people who just don't have access all the time to fresh ingredients, and who like to mix it up with different flavors. The oils are good for cooking with, but even better for a little drizzle here and there. If done right, a little drizzle goes a long way to adding that flavor.

I wonder if Alton Brown has done a Good Eats on making your own infused oils.....

If I do this and like it, I'm going to have a whole shelf soon of different combo infusions. Maybe some basil, a cilantro, definitely a garlic, chile, lime. I'll admit it, these are the things that I think about to do that would be fun while others are out climbing rocks and waterskiing. What does that mean about me?

Last edited by OhioBlue; 08-14-2006 at 06:02 PM.
OhioBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:30 PM   #6
fusnik11

Interesting, sounds simple enough.

Essentially you could do it with any flavor, I wonder why you don't have jalapeno, lime, lemon, cilantro, parsley infused oils....
Old 08-14-2006, 06:47 PM   #7
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

They're good but they kill my gall bladder.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:19 PM   #8
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

How about swedish fish infused oil? Or what about lucky charms infused oil. Now we are talking.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:36 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar
How about swedish fish infused oil? Or what about lucky charms infused oil. Now we are talking.
There you go. Chocolate covered cinnamon bears too.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:04 PM   #10
FMCoug

FMCoug

Our stake center in CA when I was a young hooligan had a small avocado grove on the hillside below the parking lot. It was a pretty stepp hill so it was mostly just rotting avocadoes.

Nothing like a good old fashioned rotten avocado fight after mutual to get your juices flowing.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote