cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2006, 11:33 PM   #1
Tim

Tim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Tim Send a message via MSN to Tim
Default No More Pennies

This isn't really a political thread, but I don't know where else to put it.

Many of my friends in person know that I am opposed to pennies... I have hated them since my mission to Spain, when I saw how effective it was to have the 5 peseta piece be the minimum people would use. The value of the peseta was roughly equal to the value of the penny at that time, so in essence people were paying for everything with nickels. Prices in Spain are generally rounded to the nearest 5 eurocent (or the "duro," as they call the piece. Kindof like how we call a dollar a "buck," in Spain, everyone calls the 5 eurocent piece the "duro."). If something costs 6 cents, the cashier asks for 5 cents. If it costs 8 cents, the cashier asks for 10. It is a wonderful system that keeps the annoying little euro pennies (and before, the 1 peseta pieces) out of peoples' pockets. So, since my mission I've been talking about us maybe getting rid of the penny as well, and moving to a 5-cent-based system.

With the news this week that a penny actually costs 1.4 cents to make now, I've decided that it's time for me to move forward with my plan. I've started a blog called "No More Pennies" that I intend to grow over the next few months to include petitions, "Send Your Pennies Back" drives, and other grassroots programs to educate people on getting rid of pennies. See the blog at http://nomorepennies.blogspot.com

This may sound strange to you, but I'm tired of pennies. They are worthless and they do nothing but clutter space.

Tim

(P.S. No, this is not a joke.)
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:37 PM   #2
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Tim, why do you hate Abraham Lincoln?
Old 05-04-2006, 11:38 PM   #3
Tim

Tim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Tim Send a message via MSN to Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
Tim, why do you hate Abraham Lincoln?
It's truly not about Lincoln. You went to Spain, dude, you know what it's like to be able to use duros for everything. It's glorious.

Tim
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:51 AM   #4
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

This may sound weird, but I read a while back that the reason that the government still insists on minting pennies is that it only costs the government .6 cents to mint one penny.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:54 AM   #5
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
It's truly not about Lincoln. You went to Spain, dude, you know what it's like to be able to use duros for everything. It's glorious.

Tim
When I went to Spain, they had switched to the Euro. Their solution was to make 1 cent coins that were really small.

I think you hate Lincoln.

I think you preferred slavery.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:00 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

If there were no more pennies, what would a cheapskate such as myself throw into the little pool at Primary Children's Hospital?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:17 AM   #7
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
With the news this week that a penny actually costs 1.4 cents to make now, I've decided that it's time for me to move forward with my plan. I've started a blog called "No More Pennies" that I intend to grow over the next few months to include petitions, "Send Your Pennies Back" drives, and other grassroots programs to educate people on getting rid of pennies. See the blog at http://nomorepennies.blogspot.com
My favorite quote:

"If we did away with the penny, what would I put in my loafers," asked George Diaz Jr., of Phoenix,

Also, when you do the 'Send Your Pennies Back' drive, have everyone send them to me $$$$

Last edited by realtall; 05-05-2006 at 03:20 AM.
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote