cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2007, 04:52 PM   #41
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
If you knew anything about her, you wouldn't have to ask this question.
Hmmm. You may notice that the original post was made over a year ago, so you should look at what was going on on CB at the time for the context. You may also not be aware that I live in the SF Bay Area and so having a passing familairity with Nancy Pelosi, and even so I didn't (and still don't) get why so may people were (and are) so viscerally disgusted with her on a regular basis. Not to say I agree wiht her, but she doens't bother me much more or less than most polciticians with whom I disagree.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:54 PM   #42
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Hmmm. You may notice that the original post was made over a year ago, so you should look at what was going on on CB at the time for the context. You may also not be aware that I live in the SF Bay Area and so having a passing familairity with Nancy Pelosi, and even so I didn't (and still don't) get why so may people were (and are) so viscerally disgusted with her on a regular basis. Not to say I agree wiht her, but she doens't bother me much more or less than most polciticians with whom I disagree.
I think her tactic of going to Syria without permission, her physical appearance is annoying and her voice grates on the listener.

An interesting observation. Some of the better male politicians or at least more tolerable to listen to, have a good timber in their voice. Very few of the female politicians have a pleasant timber in their voice.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:03 PM   #43
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I think her tactic of going to Syria without permission, her physical appearance is annoying and her voice grates on the listener.

An interesting observation. Some of the better male politicians or at least more tolerable to listen to, have a good timber in their voice. Very few of the female politicians have a pleasant timber in their voice.
The voice issue is interesting. IN some ways this is a form of misogyny, don't you think?

It is also interresting to note that in the past all the great orators tended to have high-pitched, whiny voices. This all changed once electric amplification becasme availabel. Highpitched vocies carry much better than deep vocies, even though deep vocies are more pleasing. Once vocies could be amplified, all the squeaky vocies were gone and all the deep vocies got the chicks and the votes.

Btw, the Syria stunt bothered me a lot. When was that?