cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2006, 06:33 PM   #1
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point
Default the church's "White Shirt Policy"...

So I was having a debate about the so called white shirt policy yesterday and the person I was having the debate with likened me unto Korihor (the anti-christ). This because I think making priesthood leaders wear white shirts is stupid. Anyway, this brought on me thinking of writing a story about a disenfranchised ward clerk who reads "the manual" and finds a bunch of cryptic codes that lead him on a treasure hunt of old church artifacts. He finds the liahona, keys to the nauvoo temple, urim and thummin and ultimately the ten tribes who he subsequently leads back from the land of the north. Along the way he takes several other secret wives and eventually runs for president and saves the constitution. Kind of a Forrest Gump meets the mormons type tale. I am thinking of naming it "I never wore a white shirt" What do you think?
Old 01-16-2006, 06:36 PM   #2
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

I am a firm believer in the white shirt policy....

Don't know why....

But as the YM president I wear one, as do my counselers. The entire Bishopric does, as does the Stake Presidency and so forth.

So, my Priests, Teachers, and Deacons are asked to wear them as the Brethren have instructed that is the the uniform of the Priesthood.

No white shirt, so Sacrament duties...

Easy enough for me.

But who knows, I still play poker every other week with some friends.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:49 PM   #3
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I tested the white shirt policy a few weeks ago. I wore a black shirt, black tie, black suit. All Black. I got some strange looks, and a couple of questions that sounded an awful lot like "are you still active?" It definitely clashed with a lot of people.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Since becoming active in the church about 3 months ago, I have not worn a white shirt to church. I do not like white shirts, and the only time that I wear them is for job interviews. Although if I decide to start passing the sacrament than I will have to start wearing a white shirt despite my dislike.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:29 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Up until this weekend I had been exec secty for about 4 years. I rarely wore a white shirt, and rarely wore a suit (although I always wore a tie) and no one ever said anything to me about it.

THis week I recevied a new stake calling and I wore a suit and a white shirt. My choice, but it just seemed the right thing to do. No one asked me or told me, btw, it just felt like it was the correct call.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:50 PM   #6
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point

I wear a white shirt, but I don't button the top button because my shirt is to small. It might look wierd with a tie but I'm doing my best to be obedient. Some things we do because we believe that the Lord is asking us to do it. That is why some people feel so strongly about it.

People give gifts and Sacrifices in different ways, what might be a great sacrifice to me may go unnoticed to another. For example I have found that for me and my wife, paying tithing isn't a sacrifice at all. We count on the blessings that we recieve from it so much that it would be unthinkable not to pay, but we could look at someone else and ask ourselves why they would be so stupid not to pay it. Its all just a different prespective.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:51 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a novel concept: why not wear a white shirt (if asked to do so by the Bishop, Stake President or whomever) even if it IS stupid? There's something to be said for obedience and sustaining those in authority, even with regards to silly things like shirt attire.

P.S. If asked to look at a serpent perched atop a pole, you might want to do that too.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:58 PM   #8
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The white shirt rule is cultural

and meaningless. The only thing more stupider than the rule is getting upset about it.

If I were in authority, which is about as likely as Jenna Jameson being called to either the General Relief Society or Primary Presidencies, I would be carefull about how I asked folks to be obedient to cultural expectations. Such actions facilitate cynicism and are just not worth it, IMO. However, for those not in authority I think the best approach is to be obedient. There might be a time to fall on one's sword, like if told your duty is to massacre a bunch of emigrants, but I think if one falls on their sword over such petty things they appear more like a whining string puller. Why I am not surprised the chief string puller of this thread is a Ute?
Old 01-16-2006, 08:17 PM   #9
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

If someone wears a white shirt under his dark suit and dark tie, only 5% of his exposed outfit is white. But if that's what they want to see, that's their prerogative.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:30 PM   #10
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is a great talk by Elder Bednar:

http://speeches.byu.edu/htmlfiles/Be...d_05_2005.html (Transcript)

http://byubwmv.byu.edu/byudevo/2005/devo05102005.wmv (Watch)

http://byubmp3.byu.edu/devos/devo051005.mp3 (Listen)

My favorite part of this talk is where he tells the story of his friend:

I have a dear friend who served as a stake president. The patriarch in the stake over which he presided had experienced some health challenges and was unable to perform in his calling. The ailing patriarch had difficulty moving about and dressing and caring for himself, and his strength was limited. One Sabbath afternoon this good stake president visited the home of the patriarch to encourage him and check on his well-being. As the stake president entered the home, he found the patriarch dressed in his suit and white shirt and tie, sitting in a recliner in the front room. The stake president greeted the dear patriarch and, knowing how hard it must have been to dress himself, graciously suggested to the patriarch that it was not necessary for him to get dressed up on the Sabbath or to meet visitors. In a kind but firm voice, the patriarch reproved the stake president and said, “Don’t you know that this is the only way I have left to show the Lord how much I love Him?”

and this story of Elder Haight:

At the conclusion of the June 2004 board of trustees meeting, President Hinckley called upon Elder David B. Haight to offer the benediction. It was the last board meeting in which Elder Haight ever participated. At the age of 97, Elder Haight had some difficulty as he tried to stand and offer the prayer.

After several attempts to rise to his feet, President Hinckley courteously said, “David, it is all right”—suggesting, I believe, that it was permissible for Elder Haight to remain in his chair and offer the prayer.

Elder Haight responded in a voice that was both firm and appropriate and said, “President, I must stand!”

There was simply no way that mighty Apostle was going to sit and pray in the presence of the First Presidency and his colleagues of the Twelve. And of greater importance, he was not going to sit as he communicated with his Heavenly Father. So once again Elder Haight worked to stand—and was successful. I shall never forget the spirit I felt as I listened to Elder Haight pray. I hope on that occasion I was quick to observe a powerful lesson about the dignity and the humility that should always attend our prayers. In my present calling I am blessed by Elder Haight’s example and feel a deep sense of gratitude for what I saw and felt and learned that day.