cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 04:46 AM   #1
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Reading through this thread, there seems to me to be contradiction in the position of Indy and Rocky regarding gospel scholarship.

They seem to be advocating limiting any gospel learning to the standard works and words of the prophets. Therefore, seeking knowledge from other sources would be inappropriate.

Yet, lets say one of them wants to learn more about statistics. I'm sure he would want to keep abreast of the current scholarship in the statistics arena, and would spend a lot of time reading whatever scholarly sources there may be for statistics.

If you wanted to be an expert in statistics, you certainly wouldn't want to be restricted to the basic texts you received in your first year of college on the subject.

However, you also wouldn't want to forget the very basics from that first textbook, because that might undermine your entire basis for understanding the more advanced literature.

It seems that Indy and Rocky would be in favor of in depth and broad study of such a banal subject as statistics, but not of the scriptures.

I've heard all of the counsel against getting caught up in the "trivialities" of the gospel, but I don't think that means to ignore them. If you have a strong understanding of the basics, and a strong spiritual conviction, I don't see anything wrong with expanding the scope of your gospel study.
lol...well I guess this debate was over til you decided to resurrect it after a day or two....when have you ever seen me get caught up in statistics save a small debate with MPFunk about Curtis Brown stacking up against Yewt running backs of the past?

You also assumed a lot, but that's fine by me. Like I've said like a broken record, I'm not interested in voicing my opinion just so people like me. I make no more apologies anymore for my approach. You'll get over it either way I'm sure.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 01-31-2007 at 04:50 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote