cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Jimmer at the point

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3183239

Jimmer's bro-in-law suggests it might be good for Jimmer to get some time at point.

I told prof-bball to come over to this site to post.

I think he brings up a decent point. I think Jimmer is going to struggle defensively and that might be worse at the point than the 2. But based on what I've seen of Jimmer, I think he would do a decent job at least in backup minutes to Murdock. I also think maybe Burgess should get some minutes at the point. Wouldn't hurt to try.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:40 PM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I doubt you'll ever see Jimmer at the point.

Rose brought him in to score, not run an offense and distribute.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I doubt you'll ever see Jimmer at the point.

Rose brought him in to score, not run an offense and distribute.
His future is not the point. But we need a point right now. I actually think it's worth a try.

Watching Jimmer on recruiting video, I would say too slow, no way. Watching Jimmer the first few games, I think he's a nice backup for Burgess and a future star. After this last game, and seeing more his ability to take care of the ball without TO's, make good decisions, ability to penetrate, I think it's worth a try at point.

Long term maybe Loyd is the point and you want to invest a little to give him minutes right now, but I favor Jimmer over Loyd in getting backup minutes at point.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3183239

Jimmer's bro-in-law suggests it might be good for Jimmer to get some time at point.

I told prof-bball to come over to this site to post.

I think he brings up a decent point. I think Jimmer is going to struggle defensively and that might be worse at the point than the 2. But based on what I've seen of Jimmer, I think he would do a decent job at least in backup minutes to Murdock. I also think maybe Burgess should get some minutes at the point. Wouldn't hurt to try.
I don't think it is good for a true freshman to be playing two different positions. Jimmer's role on this team is to come off the bench and bring instant offense. Adding pg responsibilities will convolute that role and he will probably be less effective at both. The pg of the future is Michael Lloyd so go with him and Martineau when Michael is struggling. If Lloyd is still losing minutes to Martineau at the end of the year and Morgan has not progressed it might be time to find a scholarship for another JC PG for next year. I am hopefull, however, that Lloyd can work into the role as starter for next year.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I don't think it is good for a true freshman to be playing two different positions. Jimmer's role on this team is to come off the bench and bring instant offense. Adding pg responsibilities will convolute that role and he will probably be less effective at both. The pg of the future is Michael Lloyd so go with him and Martineau when Michael is struggling. If Lloyd is still losing minutes to Martineau at the end of the year and Morgan has not progressed it might be time to find a scholarship for another JC PG for next year. I am hopefull, however, that Lloyd can work into the role as starter for next year.
Probably right but I'm getting greedy thinking about Jimmer, Burgess, Lee, JT, and Plaisted on the floor together.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Probably right but I'm getting greedy thinking about Jimmer, Burgess, Lee, JT, and Plaisted on the floor together.
Burgess probably is a better option at PG than Jimmer.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:58 PM   #7
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Burgess probably is a better option at PG than Jimmer.
Of the two, Jimmer's natually better handling the ball but Burgess' experience and confidence playing the D1 game probably gives him the edge at point. But I'd like to see either of them get a look.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:38 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Lots of point guards score. So I don't see a dichotomy between scoring and being a point guard.

If he can do it competently, and your team now has better players on the floor, why not?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:35 AM   #9
Ace Tomato Co.

Ace Tomato Co. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Bingo! I love this lineup...assuming Burgess can handle the point. As has been said, our PG doesn't need to do a ton, so I'm not sure it would be tough on him.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:19 PM   #10
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Lots of point guards score. So I don't see a dichotomy between scoring and being a point guard.

If he can do it competently, and your team now has better players on the floor, why not?
BYU's offensive system is designed for the others to score. It would be very disruptive to put a true freshman pg on the court and have him create his own opportunities to score. Not a good idea.