cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #51
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
What does this mean? Surely you don't evaluate Lincoln's works through this prism alone?
You don't think "twin relics of barbarism" is an apt description of slavery and polygamy? I think it's a superb description, and very precise.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:45 PM   #52
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
That sucks! The entire planet is cursed because a few million people voted against Prop 8.

If my memory serves me well (and if often doesnt), for Prop 22, there was about 7.5M total votes, 4.5M Yes and 3M No.

I would be surprised if more than 10M people in total weighed in on Prop 8 this time around.

I feel a great mantle of responsibility knowing that my vote could basically end your life. I promise to not vote haphazardly.
I'm almost sure Indy was being ironic. It's taken me this long to realize that Indy's posts are ALL subtext. That's what I meant by calling his humor dry as the Sahara the other day. I'm ashamed of all the times I've attacked his posts. He's shown amazing restraint, which of course is part of his shtick. The only thing that gives him away a little is his weakness for linking the most tawdry of apologetics. It's funny stuff but more slap stick than dry.

So you took his bait hook line and sinker, just like I had taken it.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #53
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That sucks! The entire planet is cursed because a few million people voted against Prop 8.
I think this would be just one needle in the haystack, consisting of rampant heterosexual adultery, child abuse, spousal abuse (emotional & physical), lies, guile, conspiracy, theft, embezzlement, murder, rape, statutory rape, atheism, pride, materialism, false priests who repress and destroy, lack of love or concern for one another and the whole 9 yards.

However while all of those other needles (and the many that were not mentioned) are long-standing and growing by the minute, this particular needle opens a whole new can of worms on "legalized immorality" - in the eyes of God. (That is what the church's crusade is implying).
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #54
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
And all this time you thought it was never wrong.
lol yeah. Never wrong like like Urban VIII wasn't wrong to excommunicate Galileo.

just sayin...
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:49 PM   #55
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

If my memory serves me well (and if often doesnt), for Prop 22, there were about 7.5M total votes, 4.5M Yes and 3M No.

I would be surprised if more than 10M people in total weighed in on Prop 8 this time around.

I feel a great mantle of responsibility knowing that my vote could basically end your life. I promise to not vote haphazardly.
Mortailty is overrated anyway.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:51 PM   #56
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I'm almost sure Indy was being ironic. It's taken me this long to realize that Indy's posts are ALL subtext. That's what I meant by calling his humor dry as the Sahara the other day. I'm ashamed of all the times I've attacked his posts. He's shown amazing restraint, which of course is part of his shtick. The only thing that gives him away a little is his weakness for linking the most tawdry of apologetics. It's funny stuff but more slap stick than dry.

So you took his bait hook line and sinker, just like I had taken it.
I don't have a clue where the line in the sand is before God just really gets fed up and starts cleaning house. I will say, however, that I firmly believe that failing to pass Prop 8 won't be moving mankind farther away from that line in the sand.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:52 PM   #57
Flystripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I think this would be just one needle in the haystack, consisting of rampant heterosexual adultery, child abuse, spousal abuse (emotional & physical), lies, guile, conspiracy, theft, embezzlement, murder, rape, statutory rape, atheism, pride, materialism, false priests who repress and destroy, lack of love or concern for one another and the whole 9 yards.

However while all of those other needles (and the many that were not mentioned) are long-standing and growing by the minute, this particular needle opens a whole new can of worms on "legalized immorality" - in the eyes of God. (That is what the church's crusade is implying).
That is a delicious cornucopia of mixed metaphores...well done my friend!
Old 07-24-2008, 06:52 PM   #58
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.
I don't think the 1859 quote gives an entirely complete view of Young's view on slavery. For example in 1860 we have the following from The Office Journal of President Brigham Young, 1858-1863 Book D. Ed. Fred C. Collier. Hannah, UT: Collier’s Publishing Co., 2006[1]:

Quote:
Dec. 26, 1860 (pg. 184)

Mr. Creighton called in and had Some Conversation with him upon the Government and remarked [that] the South had not learned to govern by whipping &c. riding Niggers. Slavery is the ruin of the South observed the President. The South has a beautiful climate and rich soil, but slavery ruins any soil. To these remarks Mr. Creighton acquiesced.
This is not to suggest that Brigham Young didn't hold racist views (and yes I am well aware of the many quotes that highlight racist positions) but he just not quite the one-dimmensional bigot he is often painted as here on the guard.

[1] See, http://www.splendidsun.com/wp/the-of...8-1863-book-d/

Last edited by pelagius; 07-24-2008 at 06:55 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:52 PM   #59
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Are we doing any good if all we are doing is slowing down the inevitable? Could all the time and money being spent be put to better use elsewhere.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:53 PM   #60
Flystripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I don't have a clue where the line in the sand is before God just really gets fed up and starts cleaning house. I will say, however, that I firmly believe that failing to pass Prop 8 won't be moving mankind farther away from that line in the sand.
are you sure? I'm not.