cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #1
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Guitar Hero vs real life

My son loves the video game guitar hero, although he is not nearly as proficient as some of the others reported here. I play a little bit of real guitar; not very well, but I have fun with it. I tell my son all the time that real is much better than the game, as it is gratifying in a lasting way. This guy agrees with me:

http://www.sfgate.com/columns/playinggames/

My son usually tells me that I only feel that way because he is constantly kicking my butt on the video game, which is true. I am terrible at it.

What do you think? IS real more meaningful and valuable than the game?
Old 11-27-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd have to say that of course real life is better. Playing the guitar for real is an actual skill. Playing guitar hero well is a feat of hand eye coordination, but not much else. The nice thing about guitar hero is that for a few minutes you can feel like you really know how to play. But if someone is getting to the point that they think the video game is the equivalent of actually playing an instrument then they've gone over the edge.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Ask him to play you a song on his Guitar Hero guitar with the game turned off.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
My son loves the video game guitar hero, although he is not nearly as proficient as some of the others reported here. I play a little bit of real guitar; not very well, but I have fun with it. I tell my son all the time that real is much better than the game, as it is gratifying in a lasting way. This guy agrees with me:

http://www.sfgate.com/columns/playinggames/

My son usually tells me that I only feel that way because he is constantly kicking my butt on the video game, which is true. I am terrible at it.

I dont think people play games to feel that they are good at the real-life counterparts. For example, does your son feel like he is a great NFL player because he can play Madden?

You play just because it is fun. Obviously, playing a real instrument is of way more long-term value. But right now, kids find it cool to be good at GH, so that is where the attention lies.

BTW, I posted this on CB, but Guitar Hero is official dead and done.

Rock Band came out last week. We played it almost every single day for a few hours at a time. I cannot think of a single reason to continue purchasing, making, or owning Guitar Hero products now that Rock Band is out.

With Rock Band, you can play drums, bass, vocals, AND guitar. And the guitar portion of Rock band is even better than the GH version. On Rock Band, there are two sets of colored keys, including one set way down low on the fretboard for solos.

Get a jump, avoid the inevitable, and ditch Guitar Hero. If your son wants to be a vanguard, Rock Band is where it is at.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:08 PM   #5
creekster

My post was probabyl partially due to my own frustration at trying to play guitar hero. I think that knoawing a little bit of real guitar actually makes it harder to pick up GH becasue it is counterintuitive (especially if you have reached that certain age). I want to move on the frets but can't.

I am pretty sure that most people realize the difference between the games and the real activities they mimic, but the problem, to this old man, is that having all of these sorts of virtual activities, especially for kids, means they may not be as likely to try to learn the real thinkg. Like the articel suggests, why struggle with a guitar when you can be a gutar Hero on your TV? Why go out and play sandlot ball when you can do it on a video? That is the problem from my point of view.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
TripletDaddy

Quote:
My post was probabyl partially due to my own frustration at trying to play guitar hero. I think that knoawing a little bit of real guitar actually makes it harder to pick up GH becasue it is counterintuitive (especially if you have reached that certain age). I want to move on the frets but can't.

I am pretty sure that most people realize the difference between the games and the real activities they mimic, but the problem, to this old man, is that having all of these sorts of virtual activities, especially for kids, means they may not be as likely to try to learn the real thinkg. Like the articel suggests, why struggle with a guitar when you can be a gutar Hero on your TV? Why go out and play sandlot ball when you can do it on a video? That is the problem from my point of view.
Because eventually, your kid is going to be somewhere with a group of his peers, and another guy is going to bust out a REAL guitar, play a song, then go make out with one of several willing girls. Your kid will see this and start practicing.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-27-2007, 03:18 PM   #7
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Because eventually, your kid is going to be somewhere with a group of his peers, and another guy is going to bust out a REAL guitar, play a song, then go make out with one of several willing girls. Your kid will see this and start practicing.
Actuaqlly, the son I am referring to is now 19 and is a very talented pianist and sax player who, for some reason (wanting NOT to be like the old man perhaps) rejected the guitar even though guitars are literally hanging around our house. SO maybe I am just upset.

I originally picked up the piano for the very reason you described, and then picked up guitar becasue it was protable and so could work its magic anywhere. SO you may be right.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
BTW, I posted this on CB, but Guitar Hero is official dead and done.

Rock Band came out last week. We played it almost every single day for a few hours at a time. I cannot think of a single reason to continue purchasing, making, or owning Guitar Hero products now that Rock Band is out.

With Rock Band, you can play drums, bass, vocals, AND guitar. And the guitar portion of Rock band is even better than the GH version. On Rock Band, there are two sets of colored keys, including one set way down low on the fretboard for solos.

Get a jump, avoid the inevitable, and ditch Guitar Hero. If your son wants to be a vanguard, Rock Band is where it is at.
My son bought this the day it came out last week. I wouldn't say GH is dead, Rock Band isn't much different really except you can play the drums and sing. But as far as the guitar experience I'm sure both will continue to sell well.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:52 AM   #9
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
My son bought this the day it came out last week. I wouldn't say GH is dead, Rock Band isn't much different really except you can play the drums and sing. But as far as the guitar experience I'm sure both will continue to sell well.
RIP GH.

Can you articulate any single reason why someone would buy GH when you can now buy Rock Band and do every single thing in GH, PLUS drums, bass, vocals, and do so together in the same room or against other bands via xbox Live? I honestly cannot think of a single one, absent a dramatic overhaul of the GH concept.

Already the trade in value for GH 2 dropped $15. I expect more drops to follow soon.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:54 AM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
RIP GH.

Can you articulate any single reason why someone would buy GH when you can now buy Rock Band and do every single thing in GH, PLUS drums, bass, vocals, and do so together in the same room or against other bands via xbox Live? I honestly cannot think of a single one, absent a dramatic overhaul of the GH concept.

Already the trade in value for GH 2 dropped $15. I expect more drops to follow soon.
From the article quoted above:

Quote:
With the exception of the challenging-from-the-beginning drum parts, Rock Band is also monumentally easier than its competition, to the point where accomplished guitar heroes probably shouldn't bother.
Do you agree with this? We are debating whether to get GHIII or Rock Band (already have GHII).