cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2006, 08:59 PM   #31
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
Even if there is bias involved, the point remains. The decision to translate "male" as "fill" or "replenish" is dependent on the evaluation of the preexisting argument, and thus cannot be used to prove the argument upon which it is dependent.

One can say that "male" ought to be "replenish" if he can show that "replenish" is the best translation most accurately describing the situation. One cannot say "replenish" is the best translation most accurately describing the situation simply because "male" is so translated.

By the way, hoya, I've noticed you've dropped several references to/in Latin. Have you studied that language?

All good points. I haven't studied Latin. For the most part, I just throw in a few words with lots of vowels and pretend it is Latin so people think I am smarter than I am!

Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:00 PM   #32
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
This is an excellent point. Educating your kids in Jazz also tends to educate them in race relations and civil rights. Coltrane is well worthwhile. There is a lot of jazz that is worthwhile. It is uniquely American.

May I brag for a moment? My oldest son has been classicalyl trianed on the piano and plays quite well if I, a proud father, say so myself. He is a big fan of Mozart, Chopin and Rachmaninoff, but plays Bach and Handel to humor the old man. He has also studied jazz saxaphone and leads his sax section in the school jazz band. He loves piano, but he lives jazz on the sax. As he has grown older he has learned much more culturally from jazz than he has from classical, IMO, although both have been mutually reinforcing musically. I am not sure why SU's in-laws would want to avoid jazz, but I would certainly encourage them to reconsider. Do it for the kids!
I haven't ever been able to get into jazz much. For some reason, it all kind of sounds the same to me. I am sure if I gave it a chance I would pick up on the nuances, but it all just blends together right now.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:04 PM   #33
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters
If you want to sell your wife on letting your kids listen to jazz, Bill Evans (piano) is the way to go.
Why do you think so?

As you may have noticed I mentioned Bill Evans in an earlier post, but I am cruious why you believe this.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:06 PM   #34
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
I haven't ever been able to get into jazz much. For some reason, it all kind of sounds the same to me. I am sure if I gave it a chance I would pick up on the nuances, but it all just blends together right now.
I was going to say this tells me everything I need to know about you and expolains so much, but I couldn't figure out if that would be an ad hominem negative, positive or personal attack, so I decided I would just skip it.

What sort of music are you going to inflict on HC jr.?
Old 06-16-2006, 09:09 PM   #35
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
the album Kind of Blue is the best intro to jazz that I can think of. You've got Miles Davis, Coltrane, Bill Evans and a bunch of other great musicians all on one album. If you can't appreciate that album, then I can't help you
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:15 PM   #36
Cali Coug

Quote:
the album Kind of Blue is the best intro to jazz that I can think of. You've got Miles Davis, Coltrane, Bill Evans and a bunch of other great musicians all on one album. If you can't appreciate that album, then I can't help you

Few people out there can help me.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:17 PM   #37
Cali Coug

Quote:
I was going to say this tells me everything I need to know about you and expolains so much, but I couldn't figure out if that would be an ad hominem negative, positive or personal attack, so I decided I would just skip it.

What sort of music are you going to inflict on HC jr.?
You know, the classics! Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Beatles, REM, Stone Temple Pilots...

My definition of classics means they have been around longer than 5 years! What can I say- I am a young guy!
Old 06-16-2006, 09:34 PM   #38
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Why do you think so?

As you may have noticed I mentioned Bill Evans in an earlier post, but I am cruious why you believe this.
My own experience, I guess. I grew up listening to mostly classical music too (my parents aren't musicians, but my dad is a classical music lover) and I'm classically trained on the piano. In ninth grade I started to also study jazz piano. The second I heard Bill Evans, something about his playing immediately clicked with me. It's cerebral, but incredibly sensitive and nuanced. I wasn't surprised to learn later that Evans was influenced by composers such as Ravel, Stravinsky, and Rachmaninoff.

Monk is great too, but I'll always have an affinity for Evans.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:38 PM   #39
creekster

Quote:
My own experience, I guess. I grew up listening to mostly classical music too (my parents aren't musicians, but my dad is a classical music lover) and I'm classically trained on the piano. In ninth grade I started to also study jazz piano. The second I heard Bill Evans, something about his playing immediately clicked with me. It's cerebral, but incredibly sensitive and nuanced. I wasn't surprised to learn later that Evans was influenced by composers such as Ravel, Stravinsky, and Rachmaninoff.

Monk is great too, but I'll always have an affinity for Evans.
Do you like Keith Jarrett?
Old 06-16-2006, 09:49 PM   #40
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I'm going to agree that the jazz album to start with is Kind of Blue. Very accessible album, but still very strong musically. Great album, not my favorite Davis album but a great place to start.

I also think another great place to start with jazz is some of Freddie Hubbard's stuff. I think Red Clay and Straight Life are great albums.

Also if we are talking about exposing kids to jazz, grab the Vince Guaraldi Trio - Peanuts music.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote