cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2008, 10:22 PM   #31
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Fearing that I won't be nice to you is not the same as fearing I will twist your arms into a pretzel.

There is a difference.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:22 PM   #32
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
How old is he?
three
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #33
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Thank you Captain Obvious. Everyone knows there are ways to discipline without involving physical force. However, you don't think your kids fear having privileges removed? Give me a break.

What is the point of discipline? For me it is two fold. One, it is punishment for misbehaving, and two it is hopefully a deterrent against future misbehaving. How can a punishment deter future misbehaving if there is no fear component involved?
No, they dont fear having privileges removed.

They do not like it, but they certainly do not fear it.

Why would a kid feel fear as a result of not being able to hang out with friends or not being able to watch TV?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:34 PM   #34
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

NorCals original post is interesting, to me. It's funny to reflect on how my dad disciplined us kids vs. how my wife and I are with our children. I wonder if I'm too much of a softy sometimes. We've never spanked our kids.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #35
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
NorCals original post is interesting, to me. It's funny to reflect on how my dad disciplined us kids vs. how my wife and I are with our children. I wonder if I'm too much of a softy sometimes. We've never spanked our kids.
On an unrelated note, serously, your avatar is terrifying me. It gives me a major case of the heebs.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 05-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #36
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
No, they dont fear having privileges removed.

They do not like it, but they certainly do not fear it.

Why would a kid feel fear as a result of not being able to hang out with friends or not being able to watch TV?
Don't like it, but they don't fear it, eh? Oh brother...talk about splitting hairs. The point is that I want my punishments to deter my kids from misbehaving again. Spanking is one option of doing this. Apparently you think a little swat on the butt is cruel and unusual punishment.

BTW, some nut job California state assemblywoman tried to propose a state law that would make spanking illegal. The idea was so idiotic, that even in California the idea was criticized, and shot down before she ever formally proposed it.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:40 PM   #37
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Parents that spank their kids are either just too lazy to think of more effective punishments or are bordering on child abuse, especially if the child is spanked when the parent is angry. While it may be an effective deterrent when the child is young it, it teaches the child a horrible lesson.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #38
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Don't like it, but they don't fear it, eh? Oh brother...talk about splitting hairs. The point is that I want my punishments to deter my kids from misbehaving again. Spanking is one option of doing this. Apparently you think a little swat on the butt is cruel and unusual punishment.

BTW, some nut job California state assemblywoman tried to propose a state law that would make spanking illegal. The idea was so idiotic, that even in California the idea was criticized, and shot down before she ever formally proposed it.
Well, how has spanking worked for you? I supposed your kids no longer misbehave?

At the end of their childhood, your kids will largely be a product of their environment, your example, and their own decisions. Your hitting them will have little to do with any of it. But, they WILL remember, even as adults, that you hit them.

We all remember.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:42 PM   #39
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
Yes it is interesting. For some reason though some people on here like to take anything I post on here, and gear it towards me personally.

Genearlly speaking, I think one of the biggest problems with parents today is they try to be their kids' friends, more than their parents. They're too concerned with trying to get their kids to think they're cool, rather than parenting.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:46 PM   #40
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Parents that spank their kids are either just too lazy to think of more effective punishments or are bordering on child abuse, especially if the child is spanked when the parent is angry. While it may be an effective deterrent when the child is young it, it teaches the child a horrible lesson.
Just because your parents were just too lazy, or bordered on abusing you, doesn't mean everyone else is the same way.

Please enlighten me...what horrible lesson does it teach?