cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2008, 12:23 AM   #11
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
To be clear, whether or not behavior is a sin or whether or not nayone finds it disgusdting was not what prop 8 was about, at least not for me.
I agree with that as well. But the discussion (at least here) has become much broader than that ... I'm referring to the topic at large.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:29 AM   #12
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
I don't understand it either. But there are lots of things I don't understand. In fact, if it weren't for the Spirit bearing witness to things, I would probably be an atheist for this reason. But there are an awful lot of things that go into the bucket of "I don't understand it now ... someday it will be revealed".

What I do know is that Thomas S. Monson is a prophet of God and if he says it's wrong, it's wrong. I don't need to know the "why" for everything.
I get your point but it doesnt help me. I guess I don't get what to do next. And that is what is confusing. I dont disagree that the Church has made it clear that homosexual behavior is a sin.

OK, so gay is wrong. Fine.

Now what? What do we do with all the gays? You have made your point...gay is wrong, bottom line. So what? That does little to nothing other than state the obvious (in relgious terms, anyhow).

The Church, perhaps through no fault of its own, has no good explanation for gays, why they exist, where they come from, what are we supposed to do with them, what is their role in society, etc...As such, nobody really knows what to do, other than to beat our chests to emphasize the fact that it is wrong.

That is why I said earlier that I am not interested in "boiling it down." I already know that God views the behavior as sinful. My question is, ok...so what do you want me to do now? It is sinful. Great. Now what?

With blacks, we at least had interesting stories to explain their origins....curse of cain, less valiant in the pre-existence, etc....growing up out of the Church, but basically being raised on those teachings, it was something I could at least grasp. "OK, that black guy was less righteous in the pre-existence, so that is why he is black."

With gays, we don't even have that as a guidepost to deal with the issue on a day to day basis....for people in our very own families. From my perspective, that is what is frustrating.

I don't need to know the "why" for everything, either. No active LDS person does, since we havent been given the "why" for everything and yet we remain active and believers, loving the Church and its leaders.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:41 AM   #13
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

This has become a pointless discussion here, FM. What I have learned the past couple of days:

- Being gay is irreversible, unchangeable, permanent, from birth. People who at one time were gay and now live a straight lifestyle are denying who they are. Suggesting otherwise is offensive.

- There is no reason anyone would ever at any time choose to be gay. There is no logic, no appeal, no attraction to becoming gay, other than you were born that way. Suggesting otherwise is illogical and offensive.

- There is no struggle that anyone deals with that is in any way similar to being gay. It stands alone among all conditions, weaknesses, character traits, or states of being. Comparisons to any other type of struggle are offensive.

- Because it is permanent, any discussion of curing is offensive. Any discussion of changing is offensive. Any discussion of therapy is offensive.

- The homosexual lifestyle should be normalized, accepted, and tolerated.

- The foregoing points are indisputable.

- If you disagree with any aspect of the foregoing you are ignorant, uncaring, or bigoted, or all three.

- If you disagree with any of the foregoing, you must not know any gay people.

Some will say this is an exaggeration, but these points are an accurate summary of the conversations I've participated in here today and yesterday.

There is no room for discussion. There is no room for understanding. There is no gray.

Cheers.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:42 AM   #14
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I get your point but it doesnt help me. I guess I don't get what to do next. And that is what is confusing. I dont disagree that the Church has made it clear that homosexual behavior is a sin.

OK, so gay is wrong. Fine.

Now what? What do we do with all the gays? You have made your point...gay is wrong, bottom line. So what? That does little to nothing other than state the obvious (in relgious terms, anyhow).

The Church, perhaps through no fault of its own, has no good explanation for gays, why they exist, where they come from, what are we supposed to do with them, what is their role in society, etc...As such, nobody really knows what to do, other than to beat our chests to emphasize the fact that it is wrong.

That is why I said earlier that I am not interested in "boiling it down." I already know that God views the behavior as sinful. My question is, ok...so what do you want me to do now? It is sinful. Great. Now what?

With blacks, we at least had interesting stories to explain their origins....curse of cain, less valiant in the pre-existence, etc....growing up out of the Church, but basically being raised on those teachings, it was something I could at least grasp. "OK, that black guy was less righteous in the pre-existence, so that is why he is black."

With gays, we don't even have that as a guidepost to deal with the issue on a day to day basis....for people in our very own families. From my perspective, that is what is frustrating.

I don't need to know the "why" for everything, either. No active LDS person does, since we havent been given the "why" for everything and yet we remain active and believers, loving the Church and its leaders.

I guess that's kind of my point. So much energy is spent on trying to convince that it is "right" or "not a sin" that could be much more productively used on answering your questions above.

Let's face it, Mormonism is a tough place for ANYBODY that doesn't fit the mold. Singles, part-member families, single-parent families, and yes ... gays. Fix that problem and then maybe there is a place for gays in the Church. If we as a people coud come to grips that not EVERYONE is going to get married and have a family (at least not in this life), that would go a long way. Why shouldn't a celibate gay fully participate in the Church?
Old 11-07-2008, 12:50 AM   #15
TripletDaddy

Quote:
I guess that's kind of my point. So much energy is spent on trying to convince that it is "right" or "not a sin" that could be much more productively used on answering your questions above.

Let's face it, Mormonism is a tough place for ANYBODY that doesn't fit the mold. Singles, part-member families, single-parent families, and yes ... gays. Fix that problem and then maybe there is a place for gays in the Church. If we as a people coud come to grips that not EVERYONE is going to get married and have a family (at least not in this life), that would go a long way. Why shouldn't a celibate gay fully participate in the Church?
i think that may come with time.

Currently, celibate open gays likely feel very uncomfortable at church.

For example, many folks believe that gays are pedophiles. How would you feel sitting in the pew knowing that many looked at you that way?

I think that is part of the mixed messages we send. "We love you, also your lifestyle is an abomination" That sort of thing. There is no easy answer. if someone on your mission were to have said, "hey, I think Mormons are cool, I just think they are going to hell," it kind of waters down the original statement a bit.

My guess is that in another generation or two, gay will be more mainstream within the Church.....that is to say, not everyone will be assuming that gays molest kids, that gays have AIDS, etc....it takes time to break down the stereotypes. Just like with blacks. I am not saying homosexuality will no longer be considered a sin, but that gays will continue to increase their levels of socialization amongst us and we will all realize that most of these folks are not sex-addicted promiscuous predators.

As with race and gender, there will still be those that, in 20 years, still won't have anything more of value to add to the conversation beyond "but it is a sin!" yawn. we have already covered that point, thanks.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-07-2008, 12:54 AM   #16
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
i think that may come with time.

Currently, celibate open gays likely feel very uncomfortable at church.

For example, many folks believe that gays are pedophiles. How would you feel sitting in the pew knowing that many looked at you that way?

I think that is part of the mixed messages we send. "We love you, also your lifestyle is an abomination" That sort of thing. There is no easy answer. if someone on your mission were to have said, "hey, I think Mormons are cool, I just think they are going to hell," it kind of waters down the original statement a bit.

My guess is that in another generation or two, gay will be more mainstream within the Church.....that is to say, not everyone will be assuming that gays molest kids, that gays have AIDS, etc....it takes time to break down the stereotypes. Just like with blacks. I am not saying homosexuality will no longer be considered a sin, but that gays will continue to increase their levels of socialization amongst us and we will all realize that most of these folks are not sex-addicted promiscuous predators.

As with race and gender, there will still be those that, in 20 years, still won't have anything more of value to add to the conversation beyond "but it is a sin!" yawn. we have already covered that point, thanks.
I agree with you, but I think it points to issues within our culture bigger than just gays. The 40 year old divorcee feels pretty darn uncomfortable at church too (especially if they are childless). I realize it's not the same but you get my point ...
Old 11-07-2008, 01:02 AM   #17
TripletDaddy

Quote:
I agree with you, but I think it points to issues within our culture bigger than just gays. The 40 year old divorcee feels pretty darn uncomfortable at church too (especially if they are childless). I realize it's not the same but you get my point ...
Not the same at all, but at the same time, culturally, almost exactly the same. I definitely get your point.

One time in PEC, Bishop said something that was really moving. We were going through the membership rolls and giving updates about people. One guy chimed in and said something to the effect of, "that person is not in our ward boundaries so let's forward that one to so and so in the Corona del Mar ward."

Bishop stopped the meeting, paused for a long time, and asked simply, "what are we doing here? why are we even here?"

He wasn't angry, but really moved by the Spirit to point out that within the Gospel, the letter of the law has a very great and important place. Yes, this person was not within our ward boundaries. But the Spirit of the law also has its place. The Bishop went on to lament the loss of several YSA that were in limbo because we do not do a great job of articulating their roles. We focus so much on the ideal (man/woman/temple marriage) that we often overlook the less than ideal (single parent/YSA/divorced). The only time they get a nod is when the Ensign article is saying, "hey, dont be sad, life aint so bad."

I have no answer for this, just agreeing with you. I really learned a lot from that Bishop. He was really big on asking tough rhetorical questions.....it has shaped a lot of my current views....I have a totally inactive FIL, my family is all non-LDS, my wife's mom is divorced and re-married.....all less than ideal circumstances. And all wonderful people.