cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2008, 04:14 AM   #11
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Those weren't real missionaries, and I doubt those were real lesbians.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:16 AM   #12
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Ouch.

I just read the ksl.com article on the ad. A University of Utah communications professor called it "over the top". I'm not really sure why. It's certainly negative but doesn't seem any worse than the standard political fare. I guess the tie to missionaries is a little unfair, but other than that, I'm not sure that it stands out.

I think Tex is right--I'm not sure this will convince anyone. It seems to be a lashing out at the Church more than anything else.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:31 AM   #13
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

What a great ad!
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:33 AM   #14
Grigor

Grigor is on a distinguished road

Wow, the No on Prop 8 crowd has brought themselves to a new level of lameness... perhaps even eclipsing this.
Grigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:43 AM   #15
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Wouldn't it have been more effective to have the Men In Black show up and nullify a straight couple's marriage? Obviously, that's not what Prop8 proposes, but the idea is the same and using a straight couple would impact the target audience better, I would think.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:57 AM   #16
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

That was so ridiculously funny, If that convinces people to vote no on the last day, they shouldn't be voting.

As far as hot lesbians are concerned, two years ago I went to Cafe Rio in Provo right when it opened on a saturday, with my wife. The place was pretty empty. We sat down with our food and two smoking hot girls come in, they could not have been over 20. I am talking Hot lunch avatar hot and BYU71 washington cheerleader hot. Well they are staring at the menu, Holding hands and talking. Now without turning this into Penthouse Forums, They start to touch each other in such a manner where my wife and I could now tell they were passed the friend stage. then all of the sudden they start a full on make out session. My wife even admitted, it was pretty hot.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:01 AM   #17
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is the story from the group that takes credit for it.

http://www.couragecampaign.org/page/...t/NoOn8videos/
Old 11-04-2008, 05:03 AM   #18
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Ouch.

I just read the ksl.com article on the ad. A University of Utah communications professor called it "over the top". I'm not really sure why. It's certainly negative but doesn't seem any worse than the standard political fare. I guess the tie to missionaries is a little unfair, but other than that, I'm not sure that it stands out.

I think Tex is right--I'm not sure this will convince anyone. It seems to be a lashing out at the Church more than anything else.
Why didn't they have nuns or priests doing the same thing?
Old 11-04-2008, 05:05 AM   #19
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Ouch.

Interesting that our SP recommended sending VTs to the lesbian couple living in our stake. It surprised my wife but as long as they are members, they should send visiting teachers.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:07 AM   #20
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
Why didn't they have nuns or priests doing the same thing?
Because the Catholics sat this one out. The LDS Church is the main driving force behind Yes on 8. Big surprise that people called the Church out for it. Who cares, really?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote