cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2008, 04:06 AM   #11
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Screw Prop 7, as landpoke has me in his thrall. Drill baby, drill.

I'm more of a Prop. 2 guy [Standards for Confining Farm Animals Initiative], as I want to know that all of my tasty animals had the chance to get up, stretch, and walk around before they were slaughtered.
California must be the most regulated state in the union. It's a good thing you guys have the beautiful weather, the fertile fields of the San Joaquin valley, the towering redwoods, the miles and miles of sandy beaches, the mountains, the desert, 1000's of golf courses, Monterey, Yosemite, Palm Springs and on and on to keep attracting businesses to locate there.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:17 AM   #12
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
California must be the most regulated state in the union. It's a good thing you guys have the beautiful weather, the fertile fields of the San Joaquin valley, the towering redwoods, the miles and miles of sandy beaches, the mountains, the desert, 1000's of golf courses, Monterey, Yosemite, Palm Springs and on and on to keep attracting businesses to locate there.
California started going downhill after places like Naugles, Pup n Taco, Alpha Beta, Zodys, and Orbachs went out of business.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #13
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Screw Prop 7, as landpoke has me in his thrall. Drill baby, drill.
Excellent.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:52 PM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The path is clear over the next eight years. Prop. 8 passes, some arrogant and eccentric N.D. Cal. judge invalidates it on Equal Protection and Right of Association grounds. The Ninth Circuit controversially affirms. WIll Obama have his Court assembled in time?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #15
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

According to my exit poll, Prop 8 will pass in a landslide.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:10 PM   #16
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Thinkin about thsi further, this is pretty crafty on the part of the gay marriage movement. There's no better place to tee this up than the crazy Ninth Circuit.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:26 PM   #17
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

The usually reliable Intrade Prediction Market suggests it will not pass:

http://www.intrade.com/jsp/intrade/c...=1225643123171
Old 11-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #18
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Back on point. Consider the following from, and I blush to do this, Wikipedia, about Prop 22, which started all this:

"Voters adopted the measure on March 7, 2000 with 61.4% approval and 38.6% against. This large margin of victory surprised many, since a Field Poll immediately prior to the election estimated support at only 53%, with 40% against and 7% undecided."

Attitudes have changed somewhat in the past eight years, but not so much as to eliminate the hidden biases reflected in the surprising difference between polling numbers and votes.
What hidden biases?
Old 11-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #19
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
And the regulations are doing wonders for the state! What's their deficit this year?
Old 11-02-2008, 05:50 PM   #20
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm curious what others are sensing here on the front. A few weeks ago, I was fairly certain Prop. 8 would fail. I now regard it as at least a toss-up and, if anything, more likely to pass. I have no scientific basis for that. But the polls show the race tightening and I think the pro-8 cause will be helped by the fact that (i) older voters tend to be more likely to vote than younger voters, (ii) the Bradley effect is probably more applicable to this issue than to race, and I think people are more likely to secretly vote yes while saying no publicly, than the other way around, and (iii) I'm really impressed with how well-organized the get-out-the-vote for Yes has been.

I'm curious what other Golden Staters are sensing in their areas. Tuesday night is going to be fascinating.
Not a Californian, but won't the massive liberal/ACORN get-out-the-vote-for-Obama effort trump this one-issue campaign?
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote