cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2008, 05:15 AM   #1
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default About Prop 8....

I may not remember correctly, but wasn't there a similar proposition in CA that was similar to this - perhaps it was an amendment to the state constitution disallowing gay marriage - that had been decided in favor of by the voters but was later overturned in the courts?

If I do remember this correctly, will it really matter if Prop. 8 passes?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:17 AM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I may not remember correctly, but wasn't there a similar proposition in CA that was similar to this - perhaps it was an amendment to the state constitution disallowing gay marriage - that had been decided in favor of by the voters but was later overturned in the courts?

If I do remember this correctly, will it really matter if Prop. 8 passes?
Yes. Prop 21, I believe. It was sometime around 2002. It was later overturned by courts, as are many things. It was NOT an amendment to the constitution, though.

And you are correct....if Prop 8 passes, this will just eventually go up to the Supreme Court, where it will finally get overturned, since there is no legal basis for allowing the discrimination. The public doesnt get to vote on Supreme Court cases, so they will out of luck at that point.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:20 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Yes. Prop 21, I believe. It was sometime around 2002. It was later overturned by courts, as are many things. It was NOT an amendment to the constitution, though.

And you are correct....if Prop 8 passes, this will just eventually go up to the Supreme Court, where it will finally get overturned, since there is no legal basis for allowing the discrimination. The public doesnt get to vote on Supreme Court cases, so they will out of luck at that point.
So why waste time and money - on both sides - putting it to a vote?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:22 AM   #4
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Makes people feel important and involved. Isn't that why we do most things?
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:45 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
Makes people feel important and involved. Isn't that why we do most things?
Perhaps so.

I just see it as a waste of time in that precedence has been set in that a court has overturned the vote/will of the people.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:51 AM   #6
Jim Swarthout

Jim Swarthout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I read a post on the Bloggernacle comparing the Church's Prop 8 support with Zion's Camp. In many ways, Zion's Camp was a disaster -- several men died from disease and they failed to accomplish their stated goal. It was successful, however, in enabling JS to find dedicated followers who were willing to march from Ohio to Missouri following a guy with zero military experience. JS really knew who was devoted to him.

Prop 8 may be the same. The church's support is totally inexcusable, a PR disaster, and will ultimately result in the failure of its stated goal (DDD is right. If Prop 8 passes, it will get challenged, and it will get struck down). But it allows the church to find out who has drank the most kool aid. Just watch, many of those who are leading the Prop 8 charge will get the most prestigious callings in the future.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:54 AM   #7
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Swarthout View Post
I read a post on the Bloggernacle comparing the Church's Prop 8 support with Zion's Camp. In many ways, Zion's Camp was a disaster -- several men died from disease and they failed to accomplish their stated goal. It was successful, however, in enabling JS to find dedicated followers who were willing to march from Ohio to Missouri following a guy with zero military experience. JS really knew who was devoted to him.

Prop 8 may be the same. The church's support is totally inexcusable, a PR disaster, and will ultimately result in the failure of its stated goal (DDD is right. If Prop 8 passes, it will get challenged, and it will get struck down). But it allows the church to find out who has drank the most kool aid. Just watch, many of those who are leading the Prop 8 charge will get the most prestigious callings in the future.
I assume when you say the Church, you are referring to the Prophet? After all he crafted the letter sent to members. Correct?
Old 11-01-2008, 05:55 AM   #8
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It was done at least in part, if not primarily, to increase voter turnout among conservatives.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:55 AM   #9
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Steve Young, you sly bastard. Opposing 8 just to get out of being called as a G.A. Brilliant!
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:55 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:

Interesting thoughts and you may very well be right about future leaders.

However, I was just wondering why those who put Prop 8 out there to begin with did so. The LDS church certainly supports it, but didn't get it on the ballot.