cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #11
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Do I follow flash mobbing? Yes. Have I been discussing it for almost a decade? Yes. Have I even corresponded with Howard Rheingold, author of "Smart Mobs: The Next Social Revolution? Yes.
You have been discussing it for a decade? where? here?

You have shown no proclivities for pop culture phenomena, so on this one you are free to make up whatever stories you wish.

I get it.....you are way ahead of the curve.

In all your research of flash mobs, you would think you could post a better example of one.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:30 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

You have shown no proclivities for pop culture phenomena, so on this one you are free to make up whatever stories you wish.

In all your research of flash mobs, you would think you could post a better example of one.
DDD, you may wish to quit while you're ahead. You may know it out of interest, and perhaps related to your legal profession, but SEIQ knows it from an academic perspective. This is one fight you'll lose.

I can confess I have no idea what flash mobbing is, but I do know what SEIQ knows, he usually knows well. And in communications field, he'll destroy us easily.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:57 PM   #13
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
DDD, you may wish to quit while you're ahead. You may know it out of interest, and perhaps related to your legal profession, but SEIQ knows it from an academic perspective. This is one fight you'll lose.

I can confess I have no idea what flash mobbing is, but I do know what SEIQ knows, he usually knows well. And in communications field, he'll destroy us easily.
This is why I asked earlier...if he wants to discuss French Situationalism, fine....have at it.

I am talking about Flash Mobbing as part of pop culture or avante garde performance art, two things SIEQ has not established as personal strongholds.

SIEQ claims to have been discussing flash mobbing for a decade....yet the one clip he posts of a "flash mob" isnt even a flash mob. The book he cites was written in 2003. This would mean that SIEQ was following flash mobbing back in 1998...likely before the author of the very book he cites. Where was he following the mobs? And for being so passionate, has he ever mentioned flash mobbing before?

I can tell you exactly where I learned about flash mobs...and when. I bought my first gen iPod at the apple store just after 9/11. There were pics of a london flash mob wherein people were wearing ipods in a tube station (i believe at Covent Garden, not sure though). I thought they were cool so I started following them a bit.

Early examples of flash mobbing in pop culture involved pillow fights as a commentary on war, or the use of walkmen/mp3 players as a commentary on technology. Flash mobs were political, or at least social commentaries by nature.

The clip that SIEQ posted is just some people sitting still at lunch. It doesnt even follow traditional flash mob protocol.....wherein everyone assembles very quickly, does something, and then disperses just as quickly. If he were truly into the subculture, trust me....THAT would not be the clip that he posted.

The most popular one on the web is probably the Grand Central Station clip....a much better example of flash protocol. This particular group, Frozen New York, has been organizing mobs for several years to go to train stations, Home Depots, and the like.

From an academic perspective, no problem. I have no dobt that SIEQ has read a book about something that already was taking place and that passed him by.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-30-2008, 11:35 PM   #14
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Game, set, match to DDD.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #15
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This is why I asked earlier...if he wants to discuss French Situationalism, fine....have at it.

I am talking about Flash Mobbing as part of pop culture or avante garde performance art, two things SIEQ has not established as personal strongholds.

SIEQ claims to have been discussing flash mobbing for a decade....yet the one clip he posts of a "flash mob" isnt even a flash mob. The book he cites was written in 2003. This would mean that SIEQ was following flash mobbing back in 1998...likely before the author of the very book he cites. Where was he following the mobs? And for being so passionate, has he ever mentioned flash mobbing before?

I can tell you exactly where I learned about flash mobs...and when. I bought my first gen iPod at the apple store just after 9/11. There were pics of a london flash mob wherein people were wearing ipods in a tube station (i believe at Covent Garden, not sure though). I thought they were cool so I started following them a bit.

Early examples of flash mobbing in pop culture involved pillow fights as a commentary on war, or the use of walkmen/mp3 players as a commentary on technology. Flash mobs were political, or at least social commentaries by nature.

The clip that SIEQ posted is just some people sitting still at lunch. It doesnt even follow traditional flash mob protocol.....wherein everyone assembles very quickly, does something, and then disperses just as quickly. If he were truly into the subculture, trust me....THAT would not be the clip that he posted.

The most popular one on the web is probably the Grand Central Station clip....a much better example of flash protocol. This particular group, Frozen New York, has been organizing mobs for several years to go to train stations, Home Depots, and the like.

From an academic perspective, no problem. I have no dobt that SIEQ has read a book about something that already was taking place and that passed him by.
You are clueless. Rheingold's first book was back in the early 1990s *virtual communities" and he is a friend of a friend.

I followed the ousting of the Phillipines President back before 2000 and the use of cell phones for political protests in the mid-late 90s in France.

You, on the other hand are making wild assumptions about things of which you know little.

Shall I start discussing about the links between flash mobs and the video underground and street theater of the 1960s?

I posted that clip because it was sent to me by a friend.

Once again you prove yourself an arrogant hipster. Look at your first comment: Five years ago, blah blah.

You can apologize now.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:20 PM   #16
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Game, set, match to DDD.

Ummm. No, not at all. This is a subject I have discussed and been involved in for a long time.

DDD is just being his usual hipster, arrogant self.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

Old 11-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #17
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:

How clueless can one person be? Has it occurred to you that I am on a list serve that monitors smart mob activity? That I first heard of it at a conference in the late 90s? That I presented a paper on high tech protests last November in Chicago? That I participated in one back in 2004?

No. Because you have been a complete jerk from your first post on this.

You don't like the example I posted. Fine. I didn't claim it was the best example. I tried to make a joke out of doing a smart mob at church and you come along and act like a complete tool.

You have just reinforced what a foul, pompous, "cooler than thou" jerk you are when it comes to anything supposedly popular.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:44 PM   #18
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been holding perfectly still since I began reading this page, regardless of who is correct I am in. (I have moved my fingers, but I could hold them still come the real day)
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #19
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
I have been holding perfectly still since I began reading this page, regardless of who is correct I am in. (I have moved my fingers, but I could hold them still come the real day)
Congrats. Your are flash mobbing! It is all about sitting still.

Also, fyi, SIEQ is monitoring your activity. He is on a list of people that monitor such activity.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:09 PM   #20
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
How clueless can one person be? Has it occurred to you that I am on a list serve that monitors smart mob activity? That I first heard of it at a conference in the late 90s? That I presented a paper on high tech protests last November in Chicago? That I participated in one back in 2004?

No. Because you have been a complete jerk from your first post on this.

You don't like the example I posted. Fine. I didn't claim it was the best example. I tried to make a joke out of doing a smart mob at church and you come along and act like a complete tool.

You have just reinforced what a foul, pompous, "cooler than thou" jerk you are when it comes to anything supposedly popular.
If your one example that you posted here is indicative of your knowledge on the topic, your paper must not have been very good.