cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
Ceteris Paribus

Ceteris Paribus is on a distinguished road
Default Stem Cells, Religious Wackos, Seeing the Light

Although this post may "out" me to some here, cannot restrain wrath.

Just received phone call from wife after returning from Dr. appointment. Son, 8 years old, diagnosed at 4 with Type I Diabetes, now up to 6 injections daily. During the appointment, wife broke down in frustration at the insidious and progressive nature of the disease.

Physician took the time to express frustration with the Bush/Religious Right position on stem cell research. She said we have literally lost 8 years of precious research time on the absolute best hope to find a cure - not only for diabetes, but a milieu of other life threatening conditions. All because "W" and his buddies are supposedly protecting the sanctity of life.

How can these religious nutjobs deny hope based on their faulty premise that frozen embryos that are going to be destroyed represent human life and should not be used to help others? Cannot and will not ever believe in the same God as these evil people.

Physician went on to say there is optimism in the medical community that the Obama administration will loosen the absurd restraints and fund stem cell research. McCain is soft on this issue and Palin left her brain in Nome.

Not too proud to admit errors - hereby renouncing previous posts supporting McCain. Sorry for the absurdity of this position.

So, the same folks who deny the existence/benefits of modern science, claim the earth is 6,000 years old, and wear their pious beliefs in a wrathful God on their shirtsleeves can rot in hell.
Ceteris Paribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear that, CP. Best of luck as you deal with this. Dealing with an ill child can be heartbreaking.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

I totally disagree with the stem-cell ban, but I think the doctor is way out-of-line to use the initial diagnosis of diabetes as a time to discuss politics. If she wants to discuss it later on, after the emotional adjustment of a life-changing disease has taken place, then fine. But these first few months should be entirely focused on how you and your family are going to deal with this, not on what an a-hole Bush is.

We're a long ways off (more than 8 years) of replacing beta cells in the pancreas. Even the most optimistic researcher realizes this.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

It seems to me physicians do their patients a great disservice by injecting politics into their treatment. Those who do inflict their patients with both false hope and a false scapegoat. Reminds me of Edwards' 2004 promise that a Kerry administration would heal quadriplegics.

The potential benefits of stem cell research are still very hypothetical and may or may not be realized. The moral questions are very real and ought to deliberated carefully. And, the topic has become a proxy for the abortion debate, with all the emotion that carries.

People with difficult illnesses and their families are caught in the crossfire. What a shame.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #5
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The potential benefits of stem cell research are still very hypothetical and may or may not be realized.
Isn't any scientific research "hypothetical"? That's the whole point of the scientific method: you come up with a hypothesis, and then you test it. To criticize scientific research because it's "hypothetical" is missing the point a bit, I think.

Quote:
The moral questions are very real and ought to deliberated carefully. And, the topic has become a proxy for the abortion debate, with all the emotion that carries.
Is it your moral belief that it is better to discard the unused embryos than to use them for stem cell research? In vitro fertilization results in unused embryos, which are often discarded. If not discarded, they sit in a freezer indefinitely. Is it therefore immoral to engage in in vitro fertilization?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Isn't any scientific research "hypothetical"? That's the whole point of the scientific method: you come up with a hypothesis, and then you test it. To criticize scientific research because it's "hypothetical" is missing the point a bit, I think.

Is it your moral belief that it is better to discard the unused embryos than to use them for stem cell research? In vitro fertilization results in unused embryos, which are often discarded. If not discarded, they sit in a freezer indefinitely. Is it therefore immoral to engage in in vitro fertilization?
I don't really want to open a new debate on stem cell research. I simply think this doctor misbehaved by inserting her personal politics into her patient's treatment, causing them unnecessary grief and pain. Do you disagree?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
SoCalCoug

Quote:
I don't really want to open a new debate on stem cell research. I simply think this doctor misbehaved by inserting her personal politics into her patient's treatment, causing them unnecessary grief and pain. Do you disagree?
You get my answer when I get yours. I asked first.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
Old 10-28-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
Tex

Quote:
You get my answer when I get yours. I asked first.
*shrug* Okay.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-28-2008, 05:23 PM   #9
SoCalCoug

Quote:
*shrug* Okay.
You're uncomfortable with 2-way communication in a debate? Your way is not a debate. It's a lecture. Or sermon.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #10
Tex

Quote:
You're uncomfortable with 2-way communication in a debate?
Just not interested in discussing stem cells today. Go goad someone else.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young