cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2008, 07:00 PM   #31
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
The gay agenda

Gay To-do list:

1. Go shopping for some fabulous shoes
2. Work out
3. Take Peanut for his weekly grooming
4. Wash the Miata
5. Get Married
6. Ruin all heterosexual marriages
7. Turn 4 children gay
8. Make a dinner of spicy ginger tofu with garlic snap peas
9. Pray to lucifer
10. Go to bed
Wow, the gay agenda certainly has changed. I remember when all gays did was have promiscuous sex 24/7. At least now they seem to be moving away from that.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #32
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
The point is, the church really shouldn't care whom the government thinks is or is not married. The church still gets to make its own rules and marry or not marry whomever they wish. That's the great thing about living in America.
Don't you know that as soon as gays can marry the LDS church will be forced to allow gay marriages in their churches and temples or they will lose their tax exempt status? Nevermind the bill of rights... it will be thrown out the window and Mormons will be forced.

End sarcasm

Another point I want to make is about our precious “tax exempt status”. In all honesty the
church is more at risk of losing it for its campaigning against this law then it is if gays can marry.

From the IRS.gov (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rr-07-41.pdf)

Currently, the law prohibits political campaign activity by charities and churches by defining a 501(c)(3) organization as one "which does not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distributing of statements), any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office."
Old 10-27-2008, 07:13 PM   #33
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Don't you know that as soon as gays can marry the LDS church will be forced to allow gay marriages in their churches and temples or they will lose their tax exempt status? Nevermind the bill of rights... it will be thrown out the window and Mormons will be forced.

End sarcasm

Another point I want to make is about our precious “tax exempt status”. In all honesty the
church is more at risk of losing it for its campaigning against this law then it is if gays can marry.

From the IRS.gov (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rr-07-41.pdf)

Currently, the law prohibits political campaign activity by charities and churches by defining a 501(c)(3) organization as one "which does not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distributing of statements), any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office."
the sub all clause would preclude the Church from exposure, but I get your point and have made it here myself before. There is no tax exempt issue.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-27-2008, 07:16 PM   #34
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The campaign of which candidate for public office was the church participating in, again?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:18 PM   #35
cougarobgon

cougarobgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
The gay agenda

Gay To-do list:
4. Wash the Miata
I thought their preference in autos was limited to Subarus and the current model of the Ford T-bird. I still have much too learn about my gay brothers and sisters.
cougarobgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:20 PM   #36
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The campaign of which candidate for public office was the church participating in, again?
mrd quoted the wrong section. he should have quoted the "attempting to influence legislation" section, which the Church is clearly doing.

As I stated before, the section also mandates that a substantial portion of the groups activities must be dedicated to the influence of legislation. I think we can all agree that to argue that the Church comes anywhere near devoting "substantially all" its time to Prop 8 is laughable.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:22 PM   #37
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
You are correct... but how hard would it be to change the tax code to say all campaigns. That seems a lot easier to do than them losing their tax exempt status because they wont marry gays in their churches
Old 10-27-2008, 07:23 PM   #38
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
mrd quoted the wrong section. he should have quoted the "attempting to influence legislation" section, which the Church is clearly doing.

As I stated before, the section also mandates that a substantial portion of the groups activities must be dedicated to the influence of legislation. I think we can all agree that to argue that the Church comes anywhere near devoting "substantially all" its time to Prop 8 is laughable.
Does a propoaition seeking to amend the state consittution qualify as legislation under the statute? real question. I have no idea.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:23 PM   #39
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

In other words, there is no risk of violating that clause.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-27-2008, 07:26 PM   #40
Tex

Quote:
You are correct... but how hard would it be to change the tax code to say all campaigns. That seems a lot easier to do than them losing their tax exempt status because they wont marry gays in their churches
I don't think so. Were they to try that, the LDS church would not be the only organization screaming about it.

Moreover, the church's primary press release on Prop 8 says:

Quote:
Other advocates of same-sex marriage are suggesting that tax exemptions and benefits be withdrawn from any religious organization that does not embrace same-sex unions. Public accommodation laws are already being used as leverage in an attempt to force religious organizations to allow marriage celebrations or receptions in religious facilities that are otherwise open to the public. Accrediting organizations in some instances are asserting pressure on religious schools and universities to provide married housing for same-sex couples. Student religious organizations are being told by some universities that they may lose their campus recognition and benefits if they exclude same-sex couples from club membership.
Clearly the church's lawyers believe the potential for "substantial conflicts with religious freedom" is great, and I do not have confidence in our judiciary to side with them.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young