cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How often did you get out of bed "on time"?
Every day, with very few exceptions 20 55.56%
Usually within 10 minutes of the appointed time 6 16.67%
Usually within 30 minutes of the appointed time 5 13.89%
On average I would sleep in an hour 2 5.56%
On average I would sleep in two hours 2 5.56%
My mission didn't have a rule on this 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2008, 07:18 PM   #21
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Was it 6AM? For some reason I was thinking it was 6:30AM.

Whoops! I guess I slept in almost every day. Sorry!
Ours was 6:30

6:00 if you were training a Greenie.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #22
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

3:30 am

Have you seen it more often from waking up early or because you haven't gone to bed yet?

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:28 PM   #23
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

For about a month in the dead of winter our heat was out and it got to 40 degrees in our apartment. We tried to wake up in the morning but I always fell back asleep midway through studying. And I had a new greenie that was all over my ass for it. Ugh.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:37 PM   #24
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

The reason I asked was, I served in 6 areas, had 12 companions, (13 if including the MTC), and only 3 of the 13 would get up on time. The others would get up between 7 and 9. When I made a stink about my first two comps sleeping in (my trainer and follow-up trainer), it didn't go over well with them. So from then on out, when my comps slept in, I just left them alone and had extended personal study. I had one greenie even receive medical permission to sleep in.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:22 PM   #25
Donuthole

Donuthole is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Sometime after my mission, recognizing the wussiness of those that were coming, they changed the wake-up time to 6:30, so you're probably cool. But it's a pity you weren't part of the royal generation, as we were so described in the '60s.
My MP was an army guy. We had a 45 page addendum to the White Bible, which primarily consisted of rules to tighten the rules in the WB. One such tightening was wake-up time, which was 6:00 a.m., despite the 6:30 rule in la Biblia Blanca. Another examples was the inclusion of the MTC issued haircut/grooming picture (you know the one, the front and side view of the blonde kid with "negative sideburns") with a caption stating "a picture is worth a thousand words-there are no sideburns."

Gestapoism notwithstanding, I really liked my MP.

Last edited by Donuthole; 10-23-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Donuthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #26
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
The reason I asked was, I served in 6 areas, had 12 companions, (13 if including the MTC), and only 3 of the 13 would get up on time. The others would get up between 7 and 9. When I made a stink about my first two comps sleeping in (my trainer and follow-up trainer), it didn't go over well with them. So from then on out, when my comps slept in, I just left them alone and had extended personal study. I had one greenie even receive medical permission to sleep in.
wow, that is hardcore sleeping in if you are sleeping in an hour or two every morning.

I dont even get up at 8:30 or 9AM now. If left to my own devices (and barring illness), i usually get up before 7AM anyway.

I think I would feel like a loser if it was 9AM and I was still lounging in my bed.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:29 PM   #27
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

My first apartment on my mission was with three guys who were all within 2 months of going home. The first morning, I woke up, went out to study, and didn't see anyone else for 2 hours. It bothered me a little that day, but I quickly got to enjoy it, having the front room to myself for a couple hours each morning.

Outside of P-Days, I don't think I slept in more than two or three times, if that, my entire mission. I almost always woke up on time on P-Days, as well, but occassionally we had Risk or Hearts games that went until 2:00 AM the night before.

My mission may have been worth it just for that. Before my mission, it was a struggle to get out of bed before 8:00 and I would sleep until noon if I could. Ever since my mission, I am very different. I'm not like some of you, but I usually wake up at 5:30 on weekdays. On Saturdays, I sleep in, with no alarm, and usually wake up between 6:30 and 7:00. Last Saturday, I woke up at 5:00 and went for a 13 mile run. My wife thinks I am a moron.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #28
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
My first apartment on my mission was with three guys who were all within 2 months of going home. The first morning, I woke up, went out to study, and didn't see anyone else for 2 hours. It bothered me a little that day, but I quickly got to enjoy it, having the front room to myself for a couple hours each morning.

Outside of P-Days, I don't think I slept in more than two or three times, if that, my entire mission. I almost always woke up on time on P-Days, as well, but occassionally we had Risk or Hearts games that went until 2:00 AM the night before.

My mission may have been worth it just for that. Before my mission, it was a struggle to get out of bed before 8:00 and I would sleep until noon if I could. Ever since my mission, I am very different. I'm not like some of you, but I usually wake up at 5:30 on weekdays. On Saturdays, I sleep in, with no alarm, and usually wake up between 6:30 and 7:00. Last Saturday, I woke up at 5:00 and went for a 13 mile run. My wife thinks I am a moron.
This is interesting because instead of breaking the morning rules, you guys apparently broke the go to bed rules. No judgments, just observing something that was common my mission, as well. We were often late getting back home....if there was a ward activity or we were teaching or whatever.

Risk was banned in my mission. No joke. Too many fights. Also, too many Bolivians that couldn't figure out the strategy behind the game.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:44 PM   #29
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This is interesting because instead of breaking the morning rules, you guys apparently broke the go to bed rules. No judgments, just observing something that was common my mission, as well. We were often late getting back home....if there was a ward activity or we were teaching or whatever.

Risk was banned in my mission. No joke. Too many fights. Also, too many Bolivians that couldn't figure out the strategy behind the game.
Speaking of missions and Bolivia, when people in my mission (Uruguay) would ask where Utah is, I would always tell them that it's the small country just north of Bolivia. I would say about 90% of Uruguayans would either believe me or say something along the lines of "oh yeah, I knew that".
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:07 PM   #30
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I broke no rules; I was more German than the Germans. But I didn't berate others for being more lax, such as my first companion who made us go on a double date with two hot German students. Diversity was tolerated.