cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2008, 04:29 PM   #31
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Right...the one (or really, two) that remains uncontested.

I'm not saying your other responses are legitimate. It's just that this one so easily settles the issue. It is kind of sad that we have to remind you of a basic principle...over and over and over.
Hah. It's not uncontested. My goodness, are you new here?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:31 PM   #32
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarobgon View Post
Why are mormons so afraid of truth?

I am Mormon and I am not afraid to hear you express what you believe to be true. Whether or not I accept it and argue with you about it is a different story.

It is anathema to question anything related to the church - it's seen as a betrayal of your testimony to even question. When did this become such a significant belief?

I question many things and I never feel I am betraying my testimony. I listen to the advice or counsel and if I believe it will uplift me and make me a better person, I follow it.

And I would say it's even a legitimate issue whether I'm seeing more than is actually there. Not just on CB, but I believe I see that mindset as being common among church members - heck, I was even taught a lot of that by my parents.

During my 30 year Church membership I have only resided in 7 different wards, not counting the areas during my 18 month mission. The mindset you profess exists was not common in those wards. I find that the diversity of membership from the hardliners to the liberals is an interesting spectrum that makes the Church a force to be reckon with and made/makes it enjoyable for me to attend Church.

Are mormons afraid of truth that might contradict their beliefs?
Again, I am not afraid to hear you express what you believe to be true. Whether or not I accept it...is a different story.
I don't think anyone has a problem with you. I think if we sat down with many of the leaders of the Church, they would have very similar ideas to yours.

exUte/NorCal/average CBer? Not so much. I actually would really like to see that meeting.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #33
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Hah. It's not uncontested. My goodness, are you new here?
Were you just holding back on your outstanding arguments on why we should ban blacks from the priesthood, in favor of the "that's all ya got" line?

Never mind...Don't answer that. I see where this is going and I'm not biting.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:41 PM   #34
Tex

Quote:
Were you just holding back on your outstanding arguments on why we should ban blacks from the priesthood, in favor of the "that's all ya got" line?
I don't think the priesthood ban change in 1978 represents a policy that was formerly "wrong," and I've made good arguments as to why many times. That doesn't mean I'm in favor of reinstating it.

But while we're at it, why don't we go ahead and compare someone to Hitler, just so we get some closure, eh?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #35
ERCougar

Quote:
I don't think the priesthood ban change in 1978 represents a policy that was formerly "wrong," and I've made good arguments as to why many times. That doesn't mean I'm in favor of reinstating it.

But while we're at it, why don't we go ahead and compare someone to Hitler, just so we get some closure, eh?
This is why it's so irritating discussing things with you. Instead of pointing out your position (took you all of two lines), we do this little dance back and forth first. I have better things to do.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:01 PM   #36
Tex

Quote:
I have better things to do.
Right. Like posting incessantly on a meaningless message board. We all have better things to do, ER.

Cheer up, friend. Be happy!

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-23-2008, 05:11 PM   #37
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarobgon View Post
Why are mormons so afraid of truth?

I am Mormon and I am not afraid to hear you express what you believe to be true. Whether or not I accept it and argue with you about it is a different story.

It is anathema to question anything related to the church - it's seen as a betrayal of your testimony to even question. When did this become such a significant belief?

I question many things and I never feel I am betraying my testimony. I listen to the advice or counsel and if I believe it will uplift me and make me a better person, I follow it.

And I would say it's even a legitimate issue whether I'm seeing more than is actually there. Not just on CB, but I believe I see that mindset as being common among church members - heck, I was even taught a lot of that by my parents.

During my 30 year Church membership I have only resided in 7 different wards, not counting the areas during my 18 month mission. The mindset you profess exists was not common in those wards. I find that the diversity of membership from the hardliners to the liberals is an interesting spectrum that makes the Church a force to be reckon with and made/makes it enjoyable for me to attend Church.

Are mormons afraid of truth that might contradict their beliefs?
Again, I am not afraid to hear you express what you believe to be true. Whether or not I accept it...is a different story.
I think you've got a healthy attitude on the issue. Many of the CB posters on the thread I linked, on the other hand, I believe do not.

You've been fortunate if you've experienced such a diversity in thought in your church life. My experience is not so diverse. Most of the members in my ward are very conservative politically, and those who are not tend to stay quiet.

From what I've experienced in the church, diversity is not rewarded. Conformity of thought is rewarded.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #38
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In other words, the examples that exist are just not that convincing, but you don't have anything else. So you go with the best you have.

Over and over and over and over.
Tex, your self-righteous grandstanding in this thread turns my stomach. You bitch about hearing the same old weak arguments "over and over", and complain that folks don't come up with something new. And yet you have shown zero willingness to concede a point of argument on anything, no matter how trivial. You are a like a robot, programmed to ruthlessly and tirelessly defend orthodoxy and the GOP. You are as predictable as the sun rising in the morning. So until you decide to grow a little intellectual honesty, spare us the bullshit about arguments.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #39
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Tex, your self-righteous grandstanding in this thread turns my stomach. You bitch about hearing the same old weak arguments "over and over", and complain that folks don't come up with something new. And yet you have shown zero willingness to concede a point of argument on anything, no matter how trivial. You are a like a robot, programmed to ruthlessly and tirelessly defend orthodoxy and the GOP. You are as predictable as the sun rising in the morning. So until you decide to grow a little intellectual honesty, spare us the bullshit about arguments.
Admitting some early prophets were racist is "zero willingness to concede"? And FYI: rebuttals don't usually change much when the proposition is the same.

Glad to know you're still reading though. Cheers!

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-23-2008, 07:58 PM   #40
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Admitting some early prophets were racist is "zero willingness to concede"? And FYI: rebuttals don't usually change much when the proposition is the same.

Glad to know you're still reading though. Cheers!
Did you notice that when you actually deigned to share a reason-based opinion with us, you were not attacked ad hominem, but it led to actual discussion of your opinions? Hmmm. What a concept.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote