cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2008, 06:43 PM   #31
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
So the protestor's perspective may not necessarily be accurate. So? It is still their perspective, and the church's actions, along with the members' actions, have clearly fed into that perspective. Is it reasonable to think there will be no political blowback for the church's position? Of course not. If the worst blowback the church gets is from some protestors acting peacefully outside the temple grounds, the church should be relieved. I would imagine at some point the church becomes the focus of intense media scrutiny and criticism for their stance and strong advocacy. I assume people will complain about that too, if and when it happens.
??? Did you read my post? Do you live in California? I think the scrutiny the LDS church has received in the Bay Area media has been quite vigorous (and frequently inaccurate). You are quite eager to attack things that no one said.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:44 PM   #32
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I had observed that the Yes on Prop 8 folks were kicking butt.....way more organized, highly visible TV ads and radio spots, etc.....the No on Prop 8 effort was hardly noticeable.

I noticed 3 days ago all of a sudden the No on Prop 8 commercials and ads popping up. I wonder if they are waiting until these final 2 weeks to bombard everyone with their ads? I was under the impression that they had received significant funding so they have to be doing something with all that cash.
I have no idea what it is like in the LA basin or elsewhere down south, but here the No on 8 forces are relatively visible but seem to be spending less than the Yes 0n 8 forces. This conclusion is purely anecdotal, however, and I don't watch much TV.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:47 PM   #33
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I have no idea what it is like in the LA basin or elsewhere down south, but here the No on 8 forces are relatively visible but seem to be spending less than the Yes 0n 8 forces. This conclusion is purely anecdotal, however, and I don't watch much TV.
Truthfully, barely a peep out of the No on Prop 8 folks down here. At least until this past weekend.

if I had to hand out grades to both sides this far, yes on Prop 8 gets an A, no on prop 8 gets a D-.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:50 PM   #34
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
??? Did you read my post? Do you live in California? I think the scrutiny the LDS church has received in the Bay Area media has been quite vigorous (and frequently inaccurate). You are quite eager to attack things that no one said.
You aren't having your best day, Creekster. I can't follow what your argument is here. My post didn't "attack" you. It simply set forth my position that the church should expect this kind of blowback, and that the blowback they are receiving is perfectly reasonable. When I say the church could be suffering from media scrutiny, I do not mean within California (I should have been clearer). Within California, obviously there is a lot of media scrutiny. I think that this is going to be an issue the church has to defend for a long time outside of California.

I am also concerned that the church could actually be successful on Prop 8, which I fear may embolden them to become more politically active nationwide on similar propositions. At some point, you could see the public perception viewing us as the gay bashing church.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #35
creekster

Quote:
You aren't having your best day, Creekster. I can't follow what your argument is here. My post didn't "attack" you. It simply set forth my position that the church should expect this kind of blowback, and that the blowback they are receiving is perfectly reasonable. When I say the church could be suffering from media scrutiny, I do not mean within California (I should have been clearer). Within California, obviously there is a lot of media scrutiny. I think that this is going to be an issue the church has to defend for a long time outside of California.

I am also concerned that the church could actually be successful on Prop 8, which I fear may embolden them to become more politically active nationwide on similar propositions. At some point, you could see the public perception viewing us as the gay bashing church.

I am sorry you feel that way as I, for one, feel I am having an excellent day. But I apprecaite your concern and am touched that you keep track of these kinds of things.

I suppose the reason I thought you were directing your comment to me is becasue you quuoted my post. I usually reach that sort of conlcusion even on bad days.

I actually disagree with some of your characterizations, (e.g. I don't think that protestors at the temple constitutes "blowback" and I am not even sure if we shouldc all them protestors as much as we should call them advocates against prop 8) but I think I get your points. I didn't think you were attacking 'me' btw, which is why I said 'things.' Even on bad days I still see myself as elevated above things.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:02 PM   #36
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I have yet to see any No on 8 advertising or literature up here in the far North. I think they realize it'd be a poor return on investment.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #37
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Even on bad days I still see myself as elevated above things.
This explains why you look down on me.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #38
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
This explains why you look down on me.
Only parts of you. You know, those things.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #39
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

At least he didn't start throwing his poo at you. That's what monkeys do when they're having a bad day. Heck, they do it even when they're having a good day.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #40
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
At least he didn't start throwing his poo at you. That's what monkeys do when they're having a bad day. Heck, they do it even when they're having a good day.

Are you kidding? That's what MAKES it a good day!

And we are apes, not monkeys.