cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2008, 08:38 PM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
No. They named a wing after him.
Seriously. I think this makes BYU downright evil. Evil like the klan. Thoughts?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Those of you who graduated from BYU, is there a requirement that you remain a member in good standing until you walk? I maybe nuts, but it seems to me like I graduated when my graduations was approved, that is, someone at the graduation office confirmed that I had met all the requirements and the grades were turned in. Walking is a formality.

As I'm thinking about this, I guess the question is did a time come when he had met all the requirements and had his graduation approved, or was he ex-d prior and that was one of the conditions. If it is the former I don't see how the degree can be with held. I guess I do understand the idea that you don't want someone who has already traded on the church on a way the church saw as inappropriate having a BYU degree on his resume, still, potentially taking away his ability to earn a living.....I don't know.
I have no idea what the rules are in a case like this. But if someone has met the academic requirements for graduation they should get their degree. Period. This comes off as petty and mean-spirited.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:47 PM   #13
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Had his diploma yanked? I've never heard of a school yanking a diploma earned fair and square for post graduate extracurricular activities.

I love these reminders that BYU is one of our country's most despicable and most absurd (which leavens the evil part somewhat) institutions.

Serious question. Did Utah law school yank Ted Bundy's law degree? This is a whole new thought for me.
That was my thought. That is extraordinarily strange. I can't fathom how the church would tie together an educational degree with church membership following the awardance of the degree. This seems petty and ill-conceived to me. I am sure they will be sued.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:48 PM   #14
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Evil like the Klan? Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Many families in the south would be thrilled if the worst the klan had ever done to them was take away an academic degree. Awful comparison, SU. Don't denigrate the suffering of blacks and others at the hands of the clan by comparing their trials to losing a degree from an academic institution. Shame on you.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #15
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Is this similar to when Julie Stoffer went on the Real World and was kicked out of BYU for sharing a room with the opposite sex?

It accomplished absolutely nothing but did make the school look petty, again.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:54 PM   #16
Cougar Hunter

Cougar Hunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Did I ever tell you that this guy served in our ward?
Must have been before he had some medical problems. IIRC he returned home for a bit and had surgery and went back out, after serving a couple months in carbon county. He finished up in my mission. We were in van ride from the airport to the orientation together.
Cougar Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:54 PM   #17
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Evil like the klan? More like stinkin' HITLER if you ask me!
Old 10-17-2008, 08:56 PM   #18
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Evil like the Klan? Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Many families in the south would be thrilled if the worst the klan had ever done to them was take away an academic degree. Awful comparison, SU. Don't denigrate the suffering of blacks and others at the hands of the clan by comparing their trials to losing a degree from an academic institution. Shame on you.
I consider anti-intellectualism, anti-artistic expression, anti-academic freedom, anti-free speech, anti-gay bigotry, at a place that fraudulently calls itself a "university," to be the sister of violent racism. Shame on you for understating this immoral act. Don't forget this is the same organization that banned statues of Rodin, and hosted Mark E. Peterson's 1954 speech.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:00 PM   #19
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
anti-intellectualism, anti-artistic expression, anti-academic freedom, anti-free speech, anti-gay bigotry
I think you mean to say that you are opposed to anti-gay tolerance...at least in the way you were listing virtues above.

Nice slip, Freud.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:01 PM   #20
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Is this similar to when Julie Stoffer went on the Real World and was kicked out of BYU for sharing a room with the opposite sex?

It accomplished absolutely nothing but did make the school look petty, again.
The Julie thing was petty, but I suppose BYU should be able to kick her out. Any credits earned would still be able to be transferred, I assume. Had she graduated though, I don't think they should be able to yank her diploma. Hopefully, when gets BYU beaten up in court and embarrassed by the national media, they will stop being such bullies.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote