cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #61
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Did you see me say I think the Church should/will change its stance? Didn't think so.

My point was that if it doesn't (and I don't think it will), the Church will be under great political and social pressures. How those pressures will be brought to bear, I'm not sure. But you're naive if you think society in fifty years will allow the Church to respectfully disagree without collateral consequences.

For this board, the greatest will be this: Pac-10 teams won't play BYU.
Maybe I just didn't read the thread close enough, but did someone say this?

I'll graciously leave uncommented-on, the idea anyone knows what society will be like in 50 years.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #62
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

I'll graciously leave uncommented-on, the idea anyone knows what society will be like in 50 years.
Flying cars (I hope).
Old 10-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #63
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

You can't read. In fifty years, the Church's stance will be the same (still "respectfully disagreeing" with society), but there will be collateral consequences for this stance. That better?

Walking away while sighing, "dumbass" . . . .
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:51 PM   #64
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You can't read. In fifty years, the Church's stance will be the same (still "respectfully disagreeing" with society), but there will be collateral consequences for this stance. That better?

Walking away while sighing, "dumbass" . . . .
Your arrogance is unbelievable. Nobody's arguing with you. Most seem to me to just be saying, "Okay. We'll wait and see."

Who's the one who can't read?
Old 10-21-2008, 04:46 PM   #65
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Your arrogance is unbelievable. Nobody's arguing with you. Most seem to me to just be saying, "Okay. We'll wait and see."

Who's the one who can't read?
You're not following.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Old 10-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #66
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
So, the LDS Church should seek social acceptance?

If it is the one true church of God, why would it need social acceptance?
Bump

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:56 PM   #67
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Bump
No, I don't think the Church needs social acceptance. That's not our thing; we've tried since the end of polygamy to go mainstream, and we've had remarkable success. But I think the gay rights issue will cause us to lose ground eventually in terms of social acceptance. But that's not what the Church ultimately is about, although GBH placed great importance on it.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #68
Jennerstein

Jennerstein

Ok, back to the armageddon topic.

A 2006 article, http://www.weeklystandard.com/Conten...kgwgh.asp?pg=1 , in the Weekly Standard had this in its last paragraph that summarizes the battle between religious liberty and gay rights:

"Marc Stern is looking more and more like a reluctant prophet: "It's going to be a train wreck," he told me in the offices of the American Jewish Congress high above Manhattan. "A very dangerous train wreck. I don't see anyone trying to stem the train wreck, or slow down the trains. Both sides are really looking for Armageddon, and they frankly both want to win. I prefer to avoid Armageddon, if possible."

I think as a political / rights issue, Prop 8 is considered Armageddon for the religious right. If Prop 8 fails, there's really no turning back, and I believe gay rights will have precedence over religious liberties in California. If Prop 8 passes, we'll go another few years before we approach a similar watershed event.
Jennerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:19 AM   #69
LA Ute

LA Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Apart from the rights or wrongs of being gay or gay marriage, have any of you considered that your leaders may be right in that if gay marriage becomes accepted, legalized and normalized, this would be a serious set back, if not a death blow, to the LDS Church? I'm not sure this has been addressed here really.
In your dreams, Seattle, in your dreams.

By the way, which of our leaders said that? I think you've stepped in it again.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:23 AM   #70
LA Ute

LA Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Here's why I think they may be onto something. I thnk the LDS Church's whole appeal, its branding, its very goodwill, is asssociated with its distinct social conservatism, the fact that it lives in a time capsul, from its extraoridarily uncomprimising ideal of sexual morality to its magic world view. Anything that devalues that outlook in our society, that makes it less appealing or out to be immoral, devalues the LDS Church, devalues its very essesence, strikes at its heart.
Do you realize what a fool you are making of yourself on this board? I love you, my fellow Ute, but please stop doing this.

Last edited by LA Ute; 10-25-2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Cooler head prevailed.
LA Ute is offline   Reply With Quote